Dahlia not blooming, just tiny pink flowers

jds_portlandJune 24, 2009

Hi There,

I've had a Dahlia in a pot on my apartment patio for 3 years now. It grew back once and had no problems last year and hs grown back this year even bigger but seems to not be blooming.

It got ridiculously taller than usual it's about 5 feet or more growing out of the planter. The problem is that it only has many stalks with tiny pink flowers instead of the large pink/yellow blooms it usually has.

I've never had to do much but water it in the past and I know very little about gardening. I've uploaded a photo of it so you can get an idea.

What can I do to fix it?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

jds, I think to fix it you should pull it out, dump out your soil and see if your dahlia tubers have turned to mush. That monster looks awfully familiar as a popular NW weed. I'll take my camera down and get a shot of some leaves, probably little pink flowers too, as I have these same weeds sneaking up in my perennial bed.

Sorry, but that's what I think it is from the photo.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 9:21PM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

ditto, Steve in Baltimore County.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 9:23PM
jds_portland

Aww man. Is the main tall stalk thing salvageable then? I thought the other parts looked too flimsy.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 9:26PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Sorry, I don't see anything that resembles dahlia growth from top right down to soil.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 9:30PM
jds_portland

It's been awhile so I guess I forgot what it looks like before it blooms. I hadn't even thought of it being a weed!
Now I feel like a dork for watering it. I had no idea a random weed could grow that tall though!

I'm not a total gardening failure though. I have a giant potted jasmine all twined up a small trellis. And I've had that for I think 3 years now and it's blooming well so far.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 9:40PM
Poochella(7 WA)

No need to feel like a dork. Even the weed appreciates a little TLC once in a while! If you can grow a jasmine there is complete hope! Here is the foliage of what I think is your plant

A little further away with blossom beginning middle left of center against the horrible backdrop of phlox,spent geranium, crocosmia, a lone foxglove, and sweet woodruff run amok. Not a good photo, sorry. The little pink blooms go on to produce fluffy white tufts of seeds that float away to other portions of the garden if left unpulled, as I recall. The weed is the one with maroonish stem beginning at the bottom of the photo.

And another closer up of fresher foliage. Nice of me to include it inside the ribbed cage for the asters wasn't it? Even weeds need support:)

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Growing Dahlias in zone 13b
We recently moved from Indiana to Costa Rica. In Indiana...
dreamskape
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Sponsored Products
Flower Suspension Light
LBC Lighting
Glass Vase Peony Flower Arrangements (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Classic Lighting Belleair Italy Mocca Gold Eight-Light 31 Wide Chandelier
$854.70 | LuxeDecor
Tiepolo Silver Leaf and Sienna Bronze Six-Light Chandelier with Firenze Clear Cr
Bellacor
Duo Wastebasket by Pablo Designs
$52.00 | Lumens
Antique Flower Birds Tree Tiffany Art Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Monarch Specialties Brushed Silver Mirrored Accent Table I 3710
Beyond Stores
Franklin Iron Works Intertwined Lilies Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™