yellow dots on the leaves of my lemon tree help

john_boy_berty(bn1 3ls)October 11, 2005

i have had my lemon tree for about 15 years which i planted from seed, it has never produced fruit but it still looks nice as it is only about 4 feet tall.

i have had a number or problems recently the main one being the leaves developing yellow dots and falling off untill there was only 3 left on the plant. i have cut it right back now and is has grown very rapidly but the yellow dots have started coming back and the leaves have started falling again. aghh

please help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

John how big are the yellow dots? Pinpoint or larger, and do they seem to grow? Toni

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 7:05PM
Millet(z5)

The first question I would ask is...Why is a 15 year old lemon only 4-ft. tall? Have you been pruning it? If you have been pruning it that is why the tree has never fruited. As to the yellow dots on the leaves, a picture will be needed before an educated guess could be given, unless a further and more detailed explanation can be given. - Millet

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 8:44PM
Millet(z5)

It is possible that the tree has an infestation of an insect called scale. Scale suck the jucies from the leaves, and by doing so remove the chlorophyl leaving small round yellow "halo" shaped spots. Scale infestations can easily cause leafdrop in citrus. Look for small round scab like insects on the top or bottom of the problem leaves. However, as you have been growing this tree for fifteen years, you probably are already well versed concerning scale. - Millet

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™