help! dahlias turning yellow

jessie21(zone 5)June 13, 2007

i usually buy dahlias to brighten my garden each year and love them....but this year, my leaves are yellowing...seems like from the inside out. not drying on the edges. the green is just progressively being replaced by yellow. please help fast. i need to take care of this quickly if at all possible cause i'm leaving for vacation next week. any help would be soooo appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huey_ga(z7)

To Much water? Not enough fertilizer? Fungus disease? Hot temps?
I would spray them with a general fungicide and give them a shot of fertilizer with at least a nitrogen number of ten or above if you have not been giving them much nitrogen. Hot weather can make leaves turn yellow but usually from the bottom of the plant. We just pull those leaves off and get additional air circulation to the plant.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 4:25PM
dahliaboy

I agree with huey......strip off the bottom leaves and give the plants a shot of high nitrogen fertilizer. If they don't green up, try a fungicide.
DB

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 10:36PM
jessie21(zone 5)

thanks to both of you. unfortunately, it's not just the bottom leaves and it seems limited to just one variety that i bought this year, so i'm pretty sure it's a bug or a fungus. i bought 2 kinds...one just a figaro mix, which are fine and "sunburst" which are beautiful, but yellowing on all the leaves. i'm going to try bayer's 3 in one rose and flower which is supposed to aid blooming (no real problem here), and control bugs and fungus. wish me luck. they will either be better when i get back from vacation or they will be near death........

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
new to dalias, looking for short varieties
Looking to try growing dahlias on my balcony. I'd like...
silverrowan
Depth to add Leaf Gro to clay soil
Hi...does anyone know how much Leaf Gro (depth in inches)...
niname1008
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
Dahlia tuber suppliers: The best, the worst, and the acceptable.
Which suppliers, growers have you had the best experience...
HighlanderNorth
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™