is this a dwarf conifer?

olreaderApril 5, 2014

what kind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olreader

closer up (I edited to add a different pic here, the first close up was blurry maybe this is better)

This post was edited by olreader on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 19:38

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:30PM
ritmatt(GA 7b)

It looks like a Picea pungens 'Montgomery' on a standard, to me. There are other cultivars that look very similar, though.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:48PM
olreader

Thanks! I will try to look that one up.

Does on a standard mean on a standard sized lower trunk, or does standard mean flag(pole) like royal standard, standard bearer etc., or does standard mean something else.?

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:24PM
pineresin

In this context, 'standard' means 'ball on top of a stick', I guess from the flagpole usage. Done by pruning off the lower branches, and/or by grafting the dwarf cultivar on top of a tall stem instead of at ground level.

The converse is 'feathered', which means natural, with branches all the way down to the ground.

Resin

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 10:31AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

looks like St Mary Broom to me ...

do you understand what DWARF means???

if a momma Picea pungens grows 8 to 12 inches per year ... a dwarf version of her.. grows less.. say 3 to 6 inches...

if you look at the pic... but w/o a scale.. looks to me.. that the branch ends.. grew about 4 to 5 inches last year ..

so yes.. its a dwarf ..

of course.. the standard actually answers the question.. since you wouldnt put a robust version on top of it ...

when you get into dwarf Picea Pungens... blue spruce.. they are a dime a dozen.. and you might be hard pressed to actually name the particular cultivar ... maybe joy can ... most of us guess ...

ken

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 12:26PM

again.. with no scale.. its tough.. but i happened to walk by my st mary ... and it looks like it grows about 3 inches per flush.. and yours looks longer ...

so .... perhaps i withdraw my guess ...

they have this type of pungens in front of every mickey Ds in SE MI ... i bet you might start spotting them around..

ken

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:16AM
davesconifers

I say it's PIcea pungens 'Globosa'. Pretty much the norm for pungens on a standard around here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Globosa' on standard

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:35AM
wannabegardnr(7 Maryland)

I agree with Dave. Readily available at Home Depot.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 11:34AM
olreader

Thanks everyone, I will try to pay better attention to the "blue" in the Colorado Blue Spruce, my excuse is that I'm slightly colorblind. We have a big Picea pungens and once in a while when the light's right it really does look blue to me.

I planted a few dwarf conifers last week, dwarf meaning like a foot high, so everyone here is noticing them more and mor and someone asked me if that lollipop was a dwarf conifer, and I said I'd ask gardenweb and took a pic with my phone.

When non-conifers start to leaf out I will have questions like What kind of maple? Is this a rose? But don't worry, I'll ask in other forums....

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 3:20PM
olreader

Thanks everyone, I will try to pay better attention to the "blue" in the Colorado Blue Spruce, my excuse is that I'm slightly colorblind. We have a big Picea pungens and once in a while when the light's right it really does look blue to me.

I planted a few dwarf conifers last week, dwarf meaning like a foot high, so everyone here is noticing them more and mor and someone asked me if that lollipop was a dwarf conifer, and I said I'd ask gardenweb and took a pic with my phone.

When non-conifers start to leaf out I will have questions like What kind of maple? Is this a rose? But don't worry, I'll ask in other forums....

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Ghost (gray) Pine seedling
This March the wife and I found a Ghost pine (P. sabiniana)...
pasadena
Is this Abies borisii-regis?
I have some doubts. I would greatly appreciate some...
lcadem78
Grafting and rock�n roll
See some of my wintertime conifer grafting while listening...
Jarpe
hardening off new plants from the PNW
do we.. in the cold north.. just slap them in the ground.....
Tree Repair with Screws?
Does this actually work, has anyone tried this successfully....
sc77
Sponsored Products
Pre-lit Virginia Pine Artificial Christmas Tree. with Traditional Stand
$749.00 | FRONTGATE
Conifer Spiral Air Plant Display
| Dot & Bo
Majestic Pre-Lit Vertical Swag Christmas Decor
$59.95 | FRONTGATE
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs FilmCells™ Framed Wall Art
$59.99 | zulily
Majestic Double-sided Pre-lit Christmas Garland - 9' Christmas Decor
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Seven Dwarfs Cookie Jar
$59.99 | zulily
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Film Cell Frame
$79.99 | zulily
Cal Lighting Antique Bronze Resin Accent Lamps (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™