Assistance identifying a dahlia

eterprincessJuly 26, 2014

I had bought a dinner plate bulb bag from Home Depot, and one of y dahlias just went into bloom. I think it's beautiful and would like to grow more but I don't know what it is

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CCvacation

Best bet is to dig the tubers a week after a hard frost, and store them between 45-60 degrees so you can grow many more of that same type next year. (Research 'dividing and storing dahlia tubers' in the GardenWeb search function or on google for details on that)

The 'big box stores' typically buy from companies in Holland that aren't really concerned with correctly labeling in the first place, and when you buy an unlabeled bag, the chances of identifying the variety is not likely.

There a several thousands of named varieties out there, and plenty of unnamed seedlings floating around. Even when you think it is a match with another dahlia picture, it wouldn't be right to trade or sell those tubers with another grower under that assumed name without lots of experience in dahlias, and/or growing the actual variety next to your no ID plant and having an experienced dahlia person compare them for you.

You can give it a garden 'nickname,' but make it clear to folks you gift to that you don't know its actual name.

Enjoy it- it's very pretty!

Cheers,
CC

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

It's beautiful whatever it is!!

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™