Meyers Lemon Tree Fertilizing:

SeanPez(9)October 24, 2011

Hi All,

I just transplanted my Meyers lemon tree about 3 weeks ago into the ground. It seems to be doing ok. I dont have any leaves falling, and they are relatively green. I dont know the age of the plant but i was wondering when is it too soon to give fertilizer to my tree? If i start fertilizing it now will it become dependent on the fertilizer? I am starting to have flowering on my tree only a little but its still something!

Thanks!

-Sean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

If it is making flowers, I would give it a light shot of fertilizer at the dripline. Generally, when you transplant or re-pot a Meyer, you want to give it a few weeks without fertilizer; the absence of nutrients causes the roots to grow in search of food; and after the roots, the limbs/leaves will grow and they will need food. Maybe in lieu of a soil fertilizer at the moment, you might apply a good foliar food, and give the roots another cupla weeks before you start your fertilizer regimen. FYI for my inground trees I fertilize them 3 times per year in January, May, and September, supplementing with micronutrients when I see evidence of deficiencies. If you are more interested in growth than fruit at this time, maybe because of the size or age, I would pick off the flowers as they appear; it will be followed by foliage growth and you will get another, stronger bloom in early Spring.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Help Identifying Citrus Disease?
Hi all, We just bought our first house and there's...
tvscribe
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™