Can somebody identify this please?

doke88April 11, 2012

I'm new to landscaping and my wife and I have four of these on the side of my house when we moved in. We like it and want in the front yard, too. The one pictured is about 3 feet and there are three others about 4-6 feet. Being a total novice I asked this in the shrub section and the guy there told me it was a conifer and should come here because somebody here would surely know. So I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom

Great foliage, Y-Dog. It's either an arbor vitae-Thuja species -of some kind, or a Chamaecyparis of some other kind.

+oM

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:35PM
doke88

My first guess was a hinoki cypress of some kind.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 11:33PM
clement_2006

Thuja occidentalis !,cultivar ?
Clement

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 1:39AM
brentm

Thuja plicata 'Grune Kugel'

-Brent

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 9:38AM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

If Grune Kugel gets that big I'm in trouble...literature has it 12-24" in 10 years....that plant in the photo looks bigger! Mine are also wider than they are tall. But it does look like a Thuja...

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 9:55AM
doke88

The one in the photo is about 3 feet high and there are three others that are even bigger. One has to be 5 or 6 feet tall. I have no idea how long they've been like that, though, or if they'll get bigger because I've only lived here for a little while. They may get 20 feet for all I know!!

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 10:13AM
monkeytreeboy15(Zone 7b/8a)

Looks like Thuja occidentalis rather than Thuja plicata to me--probably a dwarf cultivar.
Edwin might know the cultivar.. :0)

-Sam

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 10:47AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in the original post in the shrub forum.. wherein i referred them to you gurus .. i said:

it reminds me more of an arb.. that i have as Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe' aka 'Globosa Aurea'

and one 'tell'.. is whether yours was ever sheared.. or if it is natural shape ... the one above.. grows in this shape.. all by its lonesome ... and you should be able to tell by sticking your head in it.. lol ...

coloration varies thru the year ... so i dont know if yours is the yellow version ... but you might want to change the search at the link to ... Thuja occidentalis 'Globosa'

good luck

ken

Thuja occidentalis Globosa Aurea .. natural shape.. never been sheared in my garden .. june 3rd 2011 coloration .. 3 to 4 feet .. get this.. lowes.. 2002 ... go figure.. lol .. one of the VERY FEW i bought at bigboxstore ... which means the name is probably wrong.. lol ..

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:05AM
doke88

The one I have is more upright, though. It's definitely not round like that. It's more column shaped.

I think I'm going to go with a dwarf hinoki cypress in my front yard bed now. In researching what the one in the photo is I found that I really like that nana gracilis. Thanks everybody for your help.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:14AM
arceesmith

This one appears to be growing in shade. Are they all in shade? My first suspicion would be Thuja occidentalis 'Woodwardi' because it has been fairly commonly grown for a number of years. 'Woodwardi' would tend to be a little more compact than what I'm seeing here, but that could be a result of the amount of shade they are growing in. Someone with more Thuja cultivar experience will recognize it I'm sure.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:34AM
doke88

They are all in shade for the most part. There is some sun during the day but they are on the side of the house where there is a stone path that is surrounded by a lot of different evergreen trees, and it has more shade then sun for sure.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 12:23PM
brentm

probably just Thuja occidentalis 'Globosa'

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 1:25PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

You likely have at least two different Thuja occidentalis cultivars. One a globosa type and we'd need to see a pic of the others to see what they might be.

tj

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 4:12PM
coniferjoy(z7 The Netherlands)

I found several discriptions that this plant could be a Thuja occidentalis 'Thujopsoides'.
Unfortunately there are no pics availlable for comparison...

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Tree Repair with Screws?
Does this actually work, has anyone tried this successfully....
sc77
yellowing of emerald arborvitae
I have several emerald arborvitaes that are turning...
larry361
Weeping Hemlock in NJ
Hi all! I am a regular on the lawn care forum, but...
danielj_2009
Fast growing conifers?
A lovely wooded lot next to us recently sold. The new...
deborahjarman
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
Sponsored Products
Royal Ruby Montage Elite Snack Bag
$12.99 | zulily
Bocci | 14.36 Round Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
RION Furniture - Capa Dresser in Pale - GDRE173P
Great Furniture Deal
Carlyle 14" sq. Decorative Pillow
$115.00 | FRONTGATE
Bergama Taupe and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug Rug
$360.95 | Bellacor