Leaving Dahlias in ground over winter

MidwifeLiz(6A)July 8, 2011

I live about 30 miles north of Philadelphia, right along the Delaware River in beautiful Bucks county. For years now I dig up my dahlias to store in the basement over winter and replant in the spring. But as a test I have left one plant in the ground and it comes back every year and this year has already bloomed by the fourth of July!

Do y'all think it would be possible to leave my dahlias in the ground for now on? That one plant has come back for 3 years now. Any thoughts?

Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teddahlia

Why not try more?
Digging and dividing dahlias is hard work! If they do freeze, replacements can be easily bought. How much is your time worth?
Some hints: Be sure to mulch the plants with several inches of compost or dry leaves. Make sure they are not in a wet area as they will rot in cold, wet soil. Consider digging them in the Spring every few years and dividing the large clumps. As clumps get too large, they send up too many sprouts and the plants will become too crowded an be spindly. Be sure to control slugs and snails in the Spring as they will lay eggs on the clumps and the hatchlings will eat the sprouts before they come up. By the way, you can easily move clumps around in the Spring and they will do fine when re-planted.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™