My husband's hobby - pics

laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)September 19, 2007

I know I've mentioned my husband's avocation as a musician, and his interest in owning a pipe organ someday. Well, we don't have an instrument yet, but I have to brag on my DH a bit. He had his first solo recital last weekend, at the Palatine Church in St. Johnsville, NY. About 75 people came to hear him play in a wonderful little historic church. The church building is pre-Revolutionary (built in 1770), and the organ is from the 1970s, built to go with the church. (The original organ was not maintained and long ago disintegrated - a crying shame). Here are some pics:

This is from the day before the concert.

This is Sean practicing right before the concert. The console slides back into the case of the organ, and the doors fold over and lock.

This is the church, facing the steeple. The old building sits on a rise overlooking the Mohawk River valley. It's surrounded by a few houses, and a working dairy farm.

I love the steeple on this church, and the weather was gorgeous. We had a wonderful weekend. My parents kept the kids, and we stayed at a B&B nearby. Sweet!

Laurel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
highjack(z6 KY)

What a great week-end. Glad you and hubby had a wonderful time.

Brooke

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 6:07PM
maximus7116(MI)

Great hobby, and what nice photos! The church definitely looks like it would be worth a visit.

Chris

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 8:21PM
katlynn719(8b)

What a unique hobby! I have never heard a pipe organ in person. But I've listened to them on TV and thought it was a magical sound. Thanks for sharing your pics, Laurel. They're beautiful.
Kathy

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 2:12PM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

I would have loved to be there....the church is glorious and I'm sure your husband's music was, as well. Thanks for sharing.
Jan

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Thank you Sherry
Thank you, Sherry, for starting the alphabet posts....
hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
How cold can it get!
I am experimenting here!! seeing if I can start a...
Cindy zone 6a
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
"Debugging" New Dayliles
Last year I ordered some dayliles online I think may...
antlil
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™