New to Oregon and Dahlias

lodi(zn9 AZ)July 23, 2006

Hello All, I moved to Vernonia, OR a year ago so I am new to gardening in this climate. I had a disasterous winter as I underestimated the cold and lost a lot of container plants. I was used to climates where putting plants in the garage was enough to keep them safe. Not so here. Live and learn, that's what it's all about.

I'm also new to Dahlias (and just about every other plant I couldn't grow in Arizona :o) and I'm worried about how small the plants are. I probably planted them late but I guess I thought they would grow faster. If there is anyone from the Vernonia area who could give me a timetable, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

When did you plant them exactly, and how tall do you expect them to get? Dahlias can range from the little tiny foot tall varieties to towering giants 6+ft high.

Welcome to the great NW!

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 8:00PM
lodi(zn9 AZ)

Hi Poochella,
I got distracted by making a living. I had to teach some classes in August and preparing and traveling used up the month. Fortunately, in the meantime, my dahlias kept on growing. Even the ones I stupidly planted on the NE side of the garage.

None are the "towering giants" but doing well enough to give me some lovely blooms and make me want to buy more next spring.

Where are you in WA? How close is your climate to Vernonia? We had some very cold days that included about 6" of snow in early December. I have a water garden in a tub and there was at least 4" of solid ice on top of it. I'm told it was a fairly typical winter.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 2:05PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Hi, well work certainly puts a crimp on gardening doesn't it? If you've got blooms then you are a success, no matter the height. 4 ft is average for the taller varieties, I guess.
I am east of suburban Seattle and we are also prone to freeze, snow, or prolonged cold spells due to elevation. Lots and lots of winter rain as well. I don't know Veronia specifically, or much else about OR climates, but if your water froze 4 inches thick, it sounds like you would be wise to plan to dig up your dahlias after a freeze. Store them (see any number of threads here on 'how to') and enjoy them all over next year perhaps aiming for a southern exposure or as much sun as possible.

How to dig link below and other great info at that website.

Here is a link that might be useful: dahlias.net

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™