Dahlia buds?

tomlinson04July 25, 2014

Hi there!
I am growing mango sunset in my garden right now and think I see some buds coming from the tips of some side branches (they have the cute little round leaves on the tips instead of the regular jagged dahlia leaves) and just wanted to make sure they didn't look funny/that the leaves will in fact fold back and a bud will grow and extend... Because all I see is the leaves, no little lump inside, and it almost seems crooked lol. Thanks in advance for your insight :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CCvacation

You got buds! :-). Looks very healthy and completely normal, so no worries. It should grow and unfurl nicely, given time.

Buds typically grow in threes, with the dominant one that you see there in the center. Lots of growers pulls off the side buds to allow that main middle one room and energy to grow bigger. It also allows for a longer cutting stem. Some growers of the smaller dahlias prefer to not disbud, and cut the stem with two immature buds with the middle fully open for bouquets. Typically, those immature buds will not open once the stem is cut, but they add a fun design element in the vase.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:27PM
tomlinson04

Thanks CC you're Awesome! I'm so excited :)

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:44PM
morpheuspa

>>Lots of growers pulls off the side buds to allow that main middle one room and energy to grow bigger. It also allows for a longer cutting stem. Some growers of the smaller dahlias prefer to not disbud, and cut the stem with two immature buds with the middle fully open for bouquets. Typically, those immature buds will not open once the stem is cut, but they add a fun design element in the vase.

Some of us (me) leave them on the plant, deadhead the center blossom off when it's done, and have the fun of watching the side buds open.

Sure, the flowers are smaller, but they're dahlia flowers. What's not to love?

:-)

For the ones I cut for vases, I do leave the buds on the stem. They look great, but like you said, don't open.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
patience
it seems unfair that my stored dahlias suffered from...
daves10z7annv
Starting dahlias in miracle grow potting soil
Hello,,,I need some help in getting my dahlias started...I...
dancinnance
Winter storage
I ordered some dinner plate dahlia tubers to plant...
connieatchley
Depth to add Leaf Gro to clay soil
Hi...does anyone know how much Leaf Gro (depth in inches)...
niname1008
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™