Enormous flowers on a Meyer branch

kumquat1October 21, 2012

I am pretty familiar with citrus flowers. I have Meiwa kumquat, Limequat, Thompson grapefruit, Owari Satsuma and another unlabeled satsuma, as well as a Meyer lemon. The Meyer has a water sprout with enormous leaves, not from below the graft. One of these water sprouts had a few huge flowers, bigger than any flower, even the grapefruit. What is up with that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

That's the nature of a water sprout. Think "nuclear growth". Just trim it back to the edge of the canopy. It will settle down are revert to more normal everything in about a year or so.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 7:24PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

could we see a pic plz, i've never seen a huge citrus flower.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:12PM
Doglips(8b/9a)

So will these branches produce fruit different from the parent plant?

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 12:40AM
johnmerr(11)

A qualified yes, as to whether they will produce "different" fruit; the water sprout IS the parent plant, so the fruit will still be a Meyer; however, it will typically be larger and with a thicker/rougher skin.

I would trim the water sprout back to the level of the canopy as Patty suggested, even if that means sacrificing the fruit.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 2:21PM
balconyEve(8)

I'm new to the forum and I have a Meyer lemon tree. Where can I learn about a water sprout? Thanks, all.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:09PM
kumquat1

It was last Spring and I panicked. Cut the sprout off. Now more sprouts and I am wondering what to do. Thanks for all your input.If I get another big flower next time it fires off a big one, I will photograph and post.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 11:37AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Eve, you're better off starting your own message thread, instead of tacking onto this one, but in general, citrus do this on occasion. When they're extremely happy :-) Some cultivars tend to send up water sprouts more frequently that others (lemons). They often happen in young trees, or older trees that are being revived. It they are not providing symmetry, then trim them back to the trunk. If they are providing a nice symmetry to your tree, simply cut them back to the canopy edge. They will settle down and become normal branches. There is some argument that the attachment of a water sprout at the trunk is weaker than a normal branch. I have not found that to be the case with my trees, nor can I find any supporting documentation for that theory, and I am still trying to research that notion. For now, if the water sprout suits the tree, then it stays. If not, I trim it at the trunk.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™