Lime leaves turning bright green?

TracyPaleoOctober 26, 2012

Does anyone know why the leaves on my lime tree are turning a strange color? The new leaves are turning a bright green with some markings on them. I have been spraying it with Neem oil because the white flies where attacking it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Tracy,

As always, if you want the doctor to make a good diagnosis, he has to look at the patient. Can you post a photo? There is a place at the bottom of the page at "Post a Follow-up that has an Image to Upload option.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:41PM
TracyPaleo

Think it's maybe magnesium problem?

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:41PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

doesn't look like anything in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Guide to Citrus Nutritional Deficiency and Toxicity Identification

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 9:05PM
TracyPaleo

Thank you Johnmerr. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here is a better picture.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 10:20PM
johnmerr(11)

This is not nutritional; it is insect caused. Maybe a light infection of CLM (Citrus Leaf Miner). Ask someone who actually knows something about insect problems...like Rhizo.... do a search for Rhizo, if you don't already know.

I know a little about growing citrus... a lot less about insects.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 11:39PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Tracy, look at the underside of your leaves, especially the younger, more tender leaves. If they have squiggly tunneling, then it is Citrus Leafminer. We have talked extensively on the forum about CLM, so just search the forum for treatment options. This is a very common pest in the citrus belt, doesn't really harm your tree unless you have very heavy pest pressure and a very young tree.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 11:14AM
TracyPaleo

Thank you. I used a magnifier to see the back of the newly young leaves and they have tiny black specks everywhere. The front shows white specks. I do think it's CLM and will treat.

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me and my little new tree.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 1:34PM

That doesn't sound at all like CLM Tracy. It could be aphids, but not sure. I would send photos of the tops and bottoms of the leaves, as well as a full shot of the tree to your local extension office for a diagnosis, and appropriate treatment. I have included a link for CLM for you. The damage is very unmistakable, based on what I can see on the top of the leaves, as well as your description, I don't think you're seeing CLM.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Citrus Leafminer

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 3:18PM
TracyPaleo

Your right Patty! It wasn't CLM. I found a huge aphid on the trunk of the tree. I tried to catch her but she was fast. I finally got her and she is gone. I consulted a ACE hardware gardener and she said it was spider mites, White flies and aphids. She showed me Organic Gardening (Safer Brand) 3-in-1 Rocio.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 10:17AM

Okay. First, with both aphids and spider mites, a strong hosing will clear off most of them, if not all of them. Be sure to direct the stream underneath the leaves. So, hose off all your citrus trees first, with a strong stream pointed at the undersides of the leaves, paying special attention to your tender new growth. Secondly, control your ants. Ants will farm the aphids and keep them going, so get rid of the ants in your tree. You can put out ant bait stations as well as wrap your tree trunks with paper or cloth, and then lay down a layer of Tanglefoot on the paper or cloth. Never paint Tanglefoot directly on a tree trunk, as it can heat up in your AZ heat, and fry the cambium layer. Insecticidal soaps applied after hosing off your trees will take care of the rest of the aphids and spider mites. We tend to see spider mites at the end of summer/beginning of fall, when it gets hot and dry here in S. Calif., and I expect the same for you in AZ. This product you've mentioned is a sulfur-based product, and should also work for the spider mites, but always better to reduce your population as much as possible, first, using your good old hose :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™