very stupid qustion~ ID please

Lamora(4)November 24, 2012

Hi everyone. I know some differences in a True Christmas Cactus and an Easter Cactus~~ I think. They look so much alike, for me it is hard to tell.

Can someone please let me know what this is? I think it is a EC, someone told me it is a CC.. and I could not tell this person what the difference between the 2 is.

I've read the links and looked and tried to understand, only thing I can think of is the segments of a CC are somewhat thinner than a EC, and the starts on top, start out differently. And the flowers are different. But at this stage, it is hard to compare.

Please help me to understand the differences? I still think it is an EC. It was given to me almost to the point of dead, so I am pretty proud of the way it is coming out of it, but would love a proper ID for her. Or am I way off base and it is a totally different kind of cactus~~

Thank you in advance...

Marjie~~ wanting to get it right. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

Marjie,
First off, that's not a stupid question by any standards (still being hard on yourself I see :P ). I believe that's a CC, I've had a EC, doesn't look like any EC I've seen.

Planto

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:33PM
Lamora(4)

I know, not knowing plants is just one thing I am being hard on myself about these days... very stressed anymore. But that's another story.

This is my EC... see how they almost look alike?

only real difference I can see is the EC is a lot rounder on top.
So a Christmas Cactus is what it will be then, till I hear differently, Thanks, been wanting a CC for a while now.. :)

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:00PM
cahac(6)

First off NOT a stupid ?
looks like a cc to me not sure which 1 you will have to see the bloom before you can tell for sure. I don't see a bristle mustache which the EC has.
Here is a Holiday Cactus ID link Go down to the Easter Cactus and it shows the bristle clear
cliff

Here is a link that might be useful: Differences in Holiday Cactus

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:26PM
noki

I have no idea which... but I thought (and may be mistaken) that a lot of these plants on the market are hybrids which makes identification very difficult.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:36PM
bougainvillea(8b/ VA Beach)

Marjie, I believe yours is CC. I posted a picture of my Christmas Cactus and Easter cactus.
This is a great link to see- learn the differences between these two plants: http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

CC

EC

Natalia

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:39PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

My guess is that the first pic is a Hatiora gaertneri, Easter cactus hybrid. Reason? The telltale 'hairs' in the segment at left. The flowers are rotate on these, meaning that you can draw a line anywhere on the open blossom and and one side is a mirror image of the other. On a Schlumbergera, you can only draw a line one place to get the mirror image. The plant also looks like it could use more light.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:40PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Marjie,
I'm sorry to hear that you're stressed. I think after reading a couple more posts, you will have to wait for a bloom to be completely sure. But whether it 's a Cc or an Easter cactus hybrid, I think you have something not everyone has. In other words, I think what you have is pretty unique. :) Either way, I'm sure it'll be happy to have you as its owner, it looks like it's had a rough life.

Planto

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 10:12AM
Lamora(4)

Yes, I'm going to wait and see what blooms and when. :) there are so many differnt types of these cacti, that look "almost" alike, for someone like me, it is hard to see the differences.

Either way, I love how it is coming out of being so abused. It was the one that a woman gave to me planted in MUD! And on its death bed! So either way, it is doing better than I thought it would. I will just wait and see what happens. Then, probibly, maybe, ask again! lol.. but thanks for all the responces and sites.

Marjie :) Playing the waitng game~ again.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 3:05PM
gramadea(z5 central MI)

Not a stupid question at all. Holiday cactus can be very hard to tell apart without study. The link Cliff provided is an excellent place to start. Although I don't agree that you have Easter cactus (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri). I think the leaf segment is wrong. I think you have a Schlumbergera x buckleyi or possibly Schlumbergera bridgesii but that is doubtful I think. Not many of those around anymore. My S. x buckleyi is over 15 years old and I find the tiny hairs referred to in Cliff's post on the immature leaf segments of that plant. I have even seen them on my S. truncates as well. Here is a photo of my S. x buckleyi, maybe you can tell if yours is like it. Sorry no close up of leaf.

From the look of the brown on the leaves of your plant I am wondering if you have it in a draft or too close to a source of heat? That might be causing that. Just a guess.
Hope it dose well for you.

Blessings,
Dea

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 7:51PM
Lamora(4)

Dea- Thanks, I have been trying to study about this, Never was good at "studying" ;) There are so many "hybrids" out there. For me it is very confusing.

The browning of the leaves~~ well the woman that gave it to me wanted me to "save" it. It was outside (in the hot of the summer) in a pot planted in MUD! of all things! That alone was strange for her, she had a very green thumb when it came to plants~~ inside and outside, never will understand what happened with this one...
I did what I could and so far it is not doing too bad.
She wasn't sure of what it was either, the person she got it from says it is a CC. Very huge plant in a doctor's office.

But it's all good. As long as it is healthy for now. :)

I will study more on this, and another plant too and hope it sticks in my brain w/out pushing something else out!! lol.

Marjie~~

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 9:07AM
gramadea(z5 central MI)

Oh dear, that was a bad environment for it. Especially the hot sun. Those marks may be sun burn and if so will stay like that. Too bad. Although they do fine in a little heavier soil (but free draining) than desert cactus they would definitely suffer in MUD:o(
These plants can live for many years and give lots of enjoyment with the proper care. I am glad you rescued it. I had to rescue the one in the photo I posted also. Not as bad a situation as yours but neglected. It took a couple of years for it to recover and begin to bloom again. Good luck with yours.

Dea

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:31PM
Lamora(4)

Dea~ thanks, gives me hope for the future of some of my other holiday cacti~~ :)

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 1:03PM
farmerann(7b)

No such thing as a stupid question. How do you learn otherwise? I hope you find the answer to your question. farmerann

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
End of Winter Update: Crassula
So the infamously lengthy Canadian winter has finally...
DavidL.ca
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Aloe with brown spots
About two months ago, this aloe was in full southern...
nanzjade_z5 MA
Is this a Sempervivum?
I need help identifying this plant. I like succulents...
yonatin
Sempseed or the will to live
This is an old flowering head (is there a word for...
hablu
Sponsored Products
Safari Stool with Coat Rack Zebra
Classic Hostess
Sample-Neve Winterscape 2x8 Glass Tile, 1 Piece Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Clayton leather overstuffed modern sofa
Interior Define
Moooi | Raimond Suspension Light
YLighting
Westhampton Narrow Plate Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware