Oranges Splitting on tree before ripe?

Jrivera61October 3, 2012

Can anyone tell me why my oranges are splitting open before they are ripe on the tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Well, if we had a foto or three, we could give you a better guess. Could be lack of water, over watering, lack of Calcium... a common cause... could be a fruit sucking critter... like a mite, a scale, a mold.

The answer is... there are lots of answers; if we knew more, like where you live, what is the weather, is the plant in a container or inground, how do you take care of it, what is the variety, what kind of rootstock do you have, stuff like that.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 7:55PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

For you, based on where you are and your recent weather, I would say it has to do with uneven watering. Certain varieties are much more prone to splitting, like navel oranges, for example. I had some issues with my Page mandarin doing this, when our temps zoomed up for a week. Just a few, but it's frustrating to see. The best I can tell you, especially living in Texas, where you can have some really blistering temps, followed by really significant rainfall with your thunderstorms that can roll through, is to be sure to water well during your high temps, to even out those highs and lows with precipitation. I think this summer it was almost unavoidable to some extent for those of us in the southwest.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 10:02PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

see this
http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: split citrus

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™