When Will My Oranges Be Ripe?

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)October 20, 2008

I have a Louisiana Sweet orange tree that's gotten big enough that I left the oranges on it this past spring after it bloomed. They've been growing gradually since then, and are now about the size of average oranges, but they're still green. When should I harvest these oranges? Will a freeze, light or hard, make the fruit inedible, so I should pull them off before a freeze? I've had my tree for about ?4 years - it was about 3' tall when I planted it. It's lost some leaves every winter from our occasional freezes, but the branches don't die back, and when spring comes, it just makes new leaves to replace the old ones, plus lots of new growth.

I'd like to harvest the oranges at the right time.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Sherry, I don't have a definate answer, and hope someone chimes in, but if you pick fruit when unripe, especially since oranges are green, they won't ever ripen, 'off the tree.'
On average, citrus are picked around Nov-Dec. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 2:33AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Thanks, Toni!
Louisiana oranges and satsumas show up in the grocery stores around Christmas, but last year I left two oranges on the tree, picked them around Christmas, and they were bitter. We had had a light freeze, so I wondered if maybe the cold temps ruined the juice. If we have a freeze before mid-December, I think I'll pick some before it occurs and leave the rest to see what happens. Hopefully, there won't be any freezes before December, giving them plenty of time to ripen.
Sherry

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 10:31AM
mperrijr_hotmail_com

I've heard that where the stem meets the orange, that when that turns brown the orange is ripe. Have 4 orange trees and the oranges are either orange or almost orange so I would like some advice on when to start picking.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Japanese Citrus - Sudachi or Kabosu
Hi, I am wanting to add these two trees to my citrus...
citrusboy
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
dwarf citrus pest/disease ID help?
I was watering my dwarf lemon and lime trees today...
L
Sour orange cutting
The second of four cuttings I tried is showing new...
tim45z10
citrus trees from whole foods ID please
A couple years ago, I received a couple citrus trees...
beesneeds
Sponsored Products
Artemide | Tolomeo Wall Spot Light
YLiving.com
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Dark Gray
$489.00 | LexMod
Emma Pointelle Throw 50" x 70" - WHITE
$184.90 | Horchow
Foscarini | Allegretto Vivace Suspension
YLighting
Invigorate - Satin Orange Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus