beatles

pdshop(5)July 8, 2012

Today I noticed brown and black beatles on my dahlia leaves. I had been noticing the holes so I knew something was there. Tips of the leaves off also. Can you tell me what to use to get rid of this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vikingcraftsman

If all those tennaged girls hadn't bought their records we would not have beatles.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 3:19PM
pdshop(5)

Do you have any suggestions on what to use to kill the beetles?

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 11:35AM
vikingcraftsman

Acording to the gardener's home companion retenone is recomended for beetles. If that dosen't work for you let me know I have over a hundred gardening books in my house.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 1:33PM
unclehead_gw

Are these beetles daytime or nighttime predators? The past two years my dahlias have been victimized by what I believe is called Brown Asiatic Beetles. They only come out of the ground at night to feed and mate. They are smaller than a Japanese Beetle and are copper colored. They leave a wet area where they suck on the leaves. I was going out several times at night with a flashlight and hand-picking (a thumb and forefinger are deadly weapons) but of course you can't stay out there all night. I finally lightly dusted the plants and the ground around them with diatomaceous earth and put a bug zapper light close by. After this I found very few on the plants but every morning there were dozens in the water tray of the zapper.They seem to be more attracted to the light than the plants. I no longer spray with any bug killers because in hot,humid weather the plants looked worse after spraying than they did after the beetles fed on them. Thank God they are only around for a few weeks.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™