Repotting Blood Orange

juventusopp(6B)October 13, 2013

Hello,

I have a blood orange tree that is in need of repotting (roots creeping above soil and in small pot). It currently has a few developing oranges about the size of baseballs on it and lots of flowers and new fruit on its way. Question is can I repot now or no because it has fruit on it etc.? Rootstock is swingle. Was fertilized about one week ago. Obviously I don't want to lose the fruit and or hurt the plant.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jumpinjoe

Its possible to repot, just be careful for transplant shock. I would hold off until u have more detailed post from experienced people. I still consider myself a rookie

Joe

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 10:50PM
ohiogardenguy

I just bought a new Clementine Orange a few weeks ago and it came in a small 4 inch pot, I repotted in a nice size pot with high quality citrus soil, I gave it water with a very diluted dose of water soluble fertilizer and it seems to be doing great even has new growth, It didn't have fruit or flowers on it at the time but The plant did not seem to be stressed out.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 5:32PM
ohiogardenguy

I just bought a new Clementine Orange a few weeks ago and it came in a small 4 inch pot, I repotted in a nice size pot with high quality citrus soil, I gave it water with a very diluted dose of water soluble fertilizer and it seems to be doing great even has new growth, It didn't have fruit or flowers on it at the time but The plant did not seem to be stressed out.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 6:42PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

If it were mine and knowing that the mix is not going to stay wet for long since it is root bound...

I would just pot up into a mix similar to the one it's in and do a complete 'repot' come the spring.....

MIke

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 7:11PM
juventusopp(6B)

Ya it's root bound for sure. Always dry. Tree is completely healthy but I may just put some similar soil and wait. Thanks all.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:59AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I agree with Mike.
Sounds like you should pot up with as little root disturbance as possible, and then do a formal re-potting in the Spring...unless now is Spring wherever you are.

Josh

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Unripe fruit falling off dwarf Meyer lemon tree
Hi everyone, This is the first time IâÂÂve posted...
ndvnprt
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
New growth still light greenish
I recently acquired 2 page oranges and one has had...
sgreer13
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™