Slugs eating my blooms. Help please

jerrydeanJuly 14, 2008

This is my first year growing Dahlias. I enjoyed a couple weeks of blooms and then they began to be eaten away as fast as they open by what appears to be slugs to me. What can I do? Thank you for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raymondo17(z9 Sacramento)

I use what I've found to be extremely effective yet safe way to fight slugs. It's a substance known as iron phosphate, commercially known as Sluggo (among other brand names). It's harmless to your pets and supposedly provides your soil nutrients as it decomposes. It works very well for me, especially if applied early in the season. The link below is to one site selling it, though I bought the BIG jug of it. Good luck.

-Ray

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron Phosphate Link

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 7:03PM
jerrydean

Thank you so much Ray! Mid season here....still worth a try I'm sure. Since I intend to enjoy Dahlias for many years to come Sluggo will become part of my process. This is kinda funny, Sluggo was my nick name when I as a kid.

If anyone else knows of other treatments I'd sure like to know about them.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 9:56PM
pianist(7)

I also endorse Sluggo - it saved my dahlias from complete destruction by slugs when the bulbs were just pushing up through the ground. In one 24 hour period, my dahlias were reduced to stubs, and I had to dig them up, replant and cross my fingers that they'd come back. After one treatment of the Sluggo, the slugs disappeared overnight. The bulbs are doing well, and it looks like I'll have blooms. As a backup, I also put out dishes of beer, and yes ... it worked exceptionally well. I'm sure you won't need to use the backup, but I was so desperate to save my dahlias that I was willing to try everything. Coffee grounds, beer, Sluggo. Best of luck!

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 10:41PM
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

Slugs just ate all my zinnia seedlings 2 weeks ago, so I bought the same thing (I think it is a different brand, it is called "Slug Bait" but the active ingredient is the same: iron phosphate + bait. It is very effective.

You can get it from Home Depot of Lowes.

Beside the "Slug Bait" on the rack, there were also Slug Killer." I think that one is stronger but is more dangerous as the label says "not to be used around children."

I don't have children, but I like something milder, so I chose the Slug Bait. I found it VERY effective.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
Sponsored Products
Turquoise Expo Vase
$19.99 | zulily
Troy Barbell 12 Sided Urethane Encased Dumbbell Set with Chrome Straight Handle
Hayneedle
Silk Artichoke Flower Centerpiece Arrangement
Overstock.com
Sakura in Bloom Pendant Lamp
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Uttermost Ghost Bloom Floral Art
Beyond Stores
Watercolor Blooms Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™