Out of 65 tubers planted...

fleegle96July 8, 2014

3 of them didn't take, and I sort of thought they might not since they were purchased at a big box store last year and probably froze over winter in my storage room.

Brings me down to 53... Of those...

Ryan C, Midnight Moon and Lambada have not broken ground after at least a month. I've gently unearthed them to see if anything is going on and Ryan C feels a bit mushy, even though I kept it clear of hose water. Midnight Moon and Lambada don't seem to be doing anything at all.

So then I'm down to 51 that have greenery above ground. Of those...

Tahoma Star, Stillwater Raspberry and one other whose name is escaping me... Those 3 were in an oversized pot that flooded with the massive rain we had yesterday. I just went to attempt to pull the tubers out so I could gently transplant them to drier soil and the tuber is almost non-existent. Pretty sure the greenery that I did replant for the heck of it won't take.

So I guess I'm now down to 48 green plants, the tallest of which is probably about 18-20" above ground now. I've topped most of them off and have a few that are flourishing more than others!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teddahlia

It is nice to post success stories instead of the long list of "what did I do wrong?" or "what is eating my dahlias?"

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 5:58PM
fleegle96

I hope my post didn't come across as complaining - I'm actually pretty excited that so many of them did so WELL. I mean... around 85% have greenery? That seems HUGE to me!

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 3:24PM
portia(PA 6B, Brandywine)

It sounds great to me! I am completely intrigued by what sprouts vs what doesn't even if there are eyes. Sometimes the dahlias seem so finicky and other times so robust.

Can't wait to see your blooms!

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 9:04PM
CCvacation

Love to hear your dahlia growing breakdown, Fleegle!

I try to plant varieties in pairs, as my original list of tubers always differs from my actual blooming plants each season. Also, I always try to put in plants (tubers with roots and actively growing sprouts) to avoid the tuber from rotting by taking in too much water before its ready to use it.

I'd say 80% success rate is about average for me, as well. When plotting the garden and sorting the plants to be put in, the absences always hurt the most, but are quickly forgotten as the blooms take over my world! The losses quietly make their way on my next year's wish list, and I try to learn from my mistakes or pick up a new trick for dealing with disease and pests.

Cheers,
CC

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:52PM
fleegle96

Joy's Joy and Stella were the first two to bloom!

Joy's Joy:

Stella:

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 4:41PM
fleegle96

Crossfield Ebony

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
new to dalias, looking for short varieties
Looking to try growing dahlias on my balcony. I'd like...
silverrowan
Devistating dahlias this year :/
Hi guys! It has been awhile since I have been on....
keriann_lakegeneva
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™