buds yellowing

triple_b(BC 5b)July 17, 2008

the outside of the still closed buds, I guess you would call them 'sepals' are turning yellow on some. Lack of water? Insect damage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misslucinda

Hi triple b.

I have been going insane on this subject this summer. Don't know if you have chlorotic problems beside the bud, but I have had same along with brown edges. So far I've removed 10 dahlias and now I suspect Verticillium wilt, a soil fungus which interrupts the plants' ability to uptake water.

Although I believe this is a question for plantlady or poochella, I might add that my remaining plants looked somewhat better after an application of liquid low nitrogen fertilizer and lots of water.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 10:13AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

the foliage looks fine. But things (tomatoes) have looked a touch chlorotic in the past so I will get some seaweed fert or something. Thanks

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 1:51PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

well here is a DUH moment. Seems the ones that looked yellow on the outside of the buds were in fact....YELLOW DAHLIAS.
I thought that one was Penngift, a lavender. Turns out it is Honka. The other yellow-budded one is Inland Dynasty. (I wonder where I planted Pennsgift?)

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 1:14AM
More Discussions
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™