Pruning a Blue Atlas Cedar

highwayApril 5, 2009

We had two blue atlas cedars planted several years ago. We have been told that they were planted too close to the house and now they are really getting large. Moving them is out of the question. We would like to know if we can prune the limbs on the side that is touching the house and also can the top be cut back? When is the best time to do this? I don't know our zone but we are in central Oklahoma. Thanks for any information.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

What you are thinking of doing would absolutely ruin the trees. Forget that and have them removed.

Dave

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:19PM
kman04(z6 KS)

Other than removing the branches where they attach to the trunk that are touching your house, there's really no other trimming you can do without absolutely destroying the tree and any beauty they have. Some might think removing those branches will also destroy the beauty of these trees, but you could remove some or all of the other lower branches to balance out the look of the trees. So, I kind of agree with Dave, either remove the trees, or remove the branches touching the house and possibly others at the same level to balance things out. Their is no trimming that can be done realistically to control the height of your trees without mutilating them in a manner in which they will never recover from or look good again.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 2:48AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

do whatever you want with them ..

daves suggestion is always the last option ...

though i would probably skip right to it.. since you are going to make them look pretty ugly ...

the inherent beauty of a the perfect plant.. in the perfect spot.. allows the plant to grow perfectly ... with little or no care from you ...

once you start messing with it.. depending on your level of care/interest ... you will either end up frustrated as heck ... and do the dave ....

or you will put hours and hours of work/research into basically creating a bonsai .... and if that tickles your fancy.. go for it ...

but if you want a carefree landscape... suck it up.. and be done with it ..

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:21AM
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

"daves suggestion is always the last option"... Ha..

Not always.... In this case...it should be the first.

This conifer derives its beauty from a balanced look. Start messing with it and it's like taking a fender off a car. The once beautiful car has lost its appeal and value.

Dave

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:37AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you know how to prune or get someone who does this conifer is actually quite tolerant. It can even be used for bonsai.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 1:22AM
More Discussions
Is this an Abies Disease?
I just noticed that my Abies koreana 'Blauer Pfiff'...
garcanad
Larix decidua 'Pendula' & Picea abies 'Spring Fire'
I am looking for Larix decidua 'Pendula'. I understand...
ladylotus
Black Hills Spruce SNEED, Rhizosphaera and spider mites
I have lot of spruce trees with sneed, Rhizoshaera...
Minnesotatrouble
yellowing of emerald arborvitae
I have several emerald arborvitaes that are turning...
larry361
Yellow variegated Thuja cultivar at local box store!
Great, now EVERYONE is going to own one lol. Saw this...
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis
Sponsored Products
Darya Rugs Oushak, Blue, 3'5" x 5'0" M1708-143
Darya Rugs
Bolla Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Cloud Glass
$432.00 | Bellacor
Kenroy Home Wall Mounted Burst 1-Light Small Square Polished Aluminum Wall
$89.99 | Home Depot
Square Contemporary Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet
Sasha II Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Cloud Glass
$432.00 | Bellacor
Antique Copper Whitehaus 514.463TF Blairhaus Deck Tub Filler Shower Head
$439.00 | Blue Bath
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Red Castango Thin Weave 34"
Home Depot
Pink & Blue Roses Throw Pillow
$29.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™