I have no buds on my Dahlia

pepcanJuly 11, 2006

I have a balcony garden, all my plants are in containers. I re-planted a tuber from last year. Did everything needed to keep over the winter, eyes growing, all was well. Has been growing since April and has lovely leaves (now starting to brown) and is about 5feet tall. NO BUDS, where are my buds. Last year it was full of flowers. What should I consider doing with it now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

It is hard to say. Your "page" just says you are in Canada, which as you know has a multitude of different growing zones. Mine just started to open this past week, and I must admit I started them earlier than most. In the garden tour this week, folks were pleasantly shocked to see dahlias open so early.

Patience is a virtue. They will come.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 8:57AM
pepcan

Thanks jroot, I have updated my profile.
You say your Dahlias are just starting to open this past week. Thats wonderful!!!
My plant doesn't even have buds, it is nothing but leaves. All the new growth is leafy there is no sign of any kind of bud at all. Last year June I received this plant as a gift and it was full of blooms which continued all summer.
You also mention people are surprised to see blooms this early...I'm confused when I go to the garden center they have several blooms. Just an observation.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 11:57AM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Ah, but those grown in greenhouses and sold in nurseries are started early,- to tempt us as we meander through. I note that you are from zone 5 Canada. So am I. I will say that I do have a couple of dahlias that have not set buds yet, just some. Give it a bit more time.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 4:06PM
pepcan

Of course, I will give it more time. I would just like to see a sign of a bud.
Thanks for your kind words and will report back later to let you know how things have grown.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 9:23PM
thaibasilpesto(z9 Los Angeles)

Pepcan, if it's 5 feet tall without any blooms it almost certainly has been fed a little too much N I T R O G E N.
Cut that out. Quit fussing with the miracle-gro! Nitrogen makes things get big. You need something else.

Switch to a high phosphorous food (that's the middle number in those 20/20/20 ratios) and you should see some flowering. Greenlight makes a 10/50/10 that is worth it. There's hope for you and your dahlias.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 11:59PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

yes, you have plenty of time.

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 1:35AM
pepcan

Thanks thaibasilpesto. The plant is suppose to be this big. I've been feeding properly.
We had a wind storm last night and my poor plant is now in severe pain. She has gone from 2 stalks down to a possible one stalk. The "Y" in the stalk split in two but did not break off from the bottom ot the stalk. I'm trying something (doubt this will work)....I've taped the stalk back together and hope the plant will heal itself.
All that work ....
Here I'm trying to post a picture of the plant from last year...hope this works...1st time trying.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyBalconyGarden

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 5:22PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Very pretty! I hope you can save it.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™