Sap has to be flowing when grafting...

kumquat1October 26, 2011

Does this mean new growth is bursting out? Or does it mean just Spring time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malcolm_manners

There may be some misunderstanding of what is actually going on here. In a citrus tree, xylem sap flows throughout the day, but stops (or nearly stops) at night, year-round. Xylem sap is the water supply coming up from the roots, carrying fertilizer nutrients with it. Phloem sap, on the other hand, moves more or less continuously in the tree, carrying sugars, amino acids, hormones, and other plant metabolic products around. There is nothing that happens at any time of year in a citrus tree that would be analogous to the "sap flow" in something like a sugar maple tree, in which massive amounts of stored starch in the roots are converted to sugars and transported upward for use by the spring growth flush.

Some methods of grafting work about as well on any day of the year -- chip budding and cleft grafting, for example.

However, there are grafting methods that rely on the bark of the rootstock plant "slipping," meaning that it peels cleanly away from the wood (T-budding especially, the most popular of all methods of propagating citrus). In this case, there are definite "good" and "not so good" times to do the operation, and in that case, it generally happens when the tree is in a major flush of new growth. It's not really related to "sap;" rather, it is the fact that the vascular cambium, which is a very thin layer of cells between the bark (phloem) and wood (xylem) is actively dividing new cells, in the process of making new wood and bark, as the stem thickens during the growth flush. Those new cells are softer and not as tightly "glued" to their neighbors, and so when you cut into the bark and pry it back, the bark "slips" as the cambium layer tears. Growth of the vascular cambium is stimulated by auxin hormone (3-indoleacetic acid) flowing downward from the new growth, through particular cells in the phloem tissue. So it occurs in a wave, somewhat later than the beginning of the top flush, and ending just after the end of the top flush. It's easy to test for -- you simply try to cut and peel a bit of bark. Either it will peel as easily as a ripe banana, or it will hang on tightly and you'll just be scraping splinters.

Malcolm

Malcolm M. Manners, Ph.D.
John and Ruth Tyndall Professor of Citrus Science
Florida Southern College
Lakeland

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 7:28AM
kumquat1

Oh my! Thanks for the detailed information!

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 7:17PM
jcaldeira(Tropical - Fiji)

Malcolm, your explanation of 'sap flowing' and 'bark slipping' is very valuable to me. It explains why my cleft grafts are more successful than my T-budding.

How does one encourage sap flow, or new growth, in rootstock so that budding is more successful?

John

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 1:21AM
malcolm_manners

John, You can just wait until the tree naturally flushes. But in a commercial nursery situation, they tend to carefully give entire blocks of seedlings the same care -- same fertilizing schedule, same irrigation, same environmental conditions in the greenhouse, etc., and that tends to synchronize their growth. Even then, there will be a percentage of the seedlings that are not in synchrony, and so they are either set aside, or more often, chip budded (which does not require slipping bark, but does take a bit longer to do)

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
How to prune a Gold Nugget tree
I have a young Gold Nugget tree and, searching information...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Sponsored Products
Inglenook Valiant Bronze Finish Rod Hung Mini Pendant
Overstock.com
ELK Lighting Vines 31142/3L Pendant - Satin Nickel - 36W in. - 31142/3L
$506.00 | Hayneedle
Diamond-Pique European Sham - AZURE (LT BLUE) (CONTINENTAL)
$125.00 | Horchow
Torre 22 Bronze Two-Light Sconce with Chalk Glass
$247.50 | Bellacor
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Classic 13 in. White Bell Shade SFW913
$39.00 | Home Depot
North Pole Nativity Figurine
$11.99 | zulily
Ludlow Chair
FRONTGATE
Classical Style Copper Glazing Frosted Flush Mount in Hexagon Shape
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™