My first dahlia's

jadedmomAugust 7, 2007

These are my first attempt at growing dahlia's. I didn't know they would get this big!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Hey those look great. Good healthy looking plants. Keep up the good enjoyment. Steve in Baltimore County.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 1:08PM
dinnerdalh(7)

Wonderful, such beautiful, clean leaves. Very good for a first timer.You must be doing something right.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 2:36PM
Poochella(7 WA)

What a beautiful specimen. Congratulations! I hope you have that monster staked so you don't lose it in wind or rain. My first dahlias were sprawled all over the planting bed. Thought they were the most ungainly plants ever :)

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 2:41PM
jadedmom

Thanks everyone. I was just looking at them more closely this morning and one of the blooms has brown spots on it. Then on the rest of the plants have little black droppings. Any suggestions? I do have them staked because the "stalks" are huge!

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 3:18PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Not sure on the brown spots. Are the blooms with brown spots getting old, perhaps? Black spots are almost always bug droppings of some sort, but I didn't see any obvious chew marks on your lovely blooms. Nice job.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 6:23PM
jadedmom

Uh, the blooms are probably only 2 weeks old if that. They are getting ready to bloom more! I had a bad problem with slugs at the beginning. There are some small ants crawling around on the whole plants and some little tiny flying bug. Not much leaf damage. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 7:27PM
Poochella(7 WA)

2 weeks is getting pretty old for a bloom, so that may account for the brown spots. Sometimes rain will spot petals too.

If you see ants on your dahlias, you might want to check along the stems for aphids. Easily washed away with a squirt of water, or even removed by hand squeegying.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 9:42PM
mipeonyzone5

Wow, this is my first year with Dahlias, and they're no where near the size of yours. Very nice!

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™