do dahlias grow taller each year?

redpeonyAugust 23, 2007

I am wondering if the size of the tuber affects the height of the plant that grows? Dahlias do not over winter here, and I think my garage is too cold and basement too warm to properly over winter tubers. Costco however does have very good deals if I want to treat dahlias like annuals here. I want to plant them along the back of my flower bed though - so taller is definitely better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Go for the 4 foot + varieties. In a border, where they need to fight for light, they will very likely shoot up higher.

Do they grow taller each year? I can't really say that is the case. I had some dinner plates that were huge last year, but not so tall this year. Others are much taller this year. I think the preparation of the bed with good nutricious soil makes the most difference.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misslucinda

Hey jroot and red-

I would like to hear more about this. My 3-4 year old "Babylon Bronze's" have shot to about 7 feet this year and its not for a lack of light as I have full sun in that location and no one is crowded. The new guys, ones I did not pinch back are at a maximum of maybe, at best, 5 feet.

Anyone else care to comment?

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™