Squirrel damaged my testudinaria elephantipes, will it heal?

robinpla(10b)November 20, 2012

A squirrel took a chunk out of my quite expensive testudinaria elephantipes (dioscorea?) earlier this year. It has thrived and grown tremendously since, but still has a chunk missing. Will this eventually grow together? I love this plant, but it's somewhat damaged :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Is that a Mark Muredian pot, too? Wowsers.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:09PM
robinpla(10b)

No, I made that pot :) And here is a shameless plug for my pottery http://www.robinpetersson.com/pottery/

:)

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:41PM
karyn1(7a)

I can't answer your question about the squirrel damage but wanted to say that your pottery is just beautiful.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 8:19AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Both the plant and container are very beautiful. Is pottery a hobby or business for you? Are you self-taught? I would love to be able to do something like that. You are very artistic... good for you!

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 12:44PM
robinpla(10b)

Thanks everybody! I used to go to a pottery class for about two years, then I bought a wheel and a kiln so that I could make more experimental pots quicker and at home. I made quite a bit of pottery just after my last job and before I had twins (now a stay at home dad), and in the last two years I haven't made very many at all because I am BUSY :) I have sold maybe 20 pots so I wouldn't call that a business quite yet. Would love to make more and sell some day when I have more time.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 3:02PM
robinpla(10b)

Here is another picture of the pot...if anyone is interested :)

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 3:50PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

The plant will heal, some of the chunks will fall off, they are like big chunks of bark, but as long as you get a vine the caudex will grow.
I agree, great pot.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 7:16PM
CorpsmanCooper(FL8b)

WOW! Lovely pot and plant. My dioscorea elephantipes is still very young. It's only about the size of a quarter. I cannot wait for it to get bigger! Glad to hear yours will heal!

~Erin~

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 12:24PM
robinpla(10b)

I have had this for 3 years, and I believe the seller told me it was about 2 years when I bought it. It didn't do much the first two years, then this year I put it on top of my garage roof with a 30% shade cloth, and it has literally doubled in size. And it was actually the squirrel attack that prompted me to build boxes out of PVC pipes and shade cloth to protect my plants. So my plants get sun all day long. Some are in full sun, some get 30% shade. It has worked out great!! :) Can't wait until the winter is over to see all my plants THRIVE :)

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 4:47PM
CorpsmanCooper(FL8b)

This is mine. It's just a wee little thing. I've had it for a year now. It's dormant at the moment but I expect it to wake up soon. It's actually doubled in size since I bought it and it's starting to get the tell tale cracks and fissures. I'm super excited to have it in collection.

~Erin~

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 12:24PM
robinpla(10b)

What a little cutie!! Good luck with it! Sun, water and fertilizer in when it is growing! :)

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™