Key lime holding too much fruit

yellowthumb(5a Ontario)October 3, 2011

Hi Guys,

I bought a nice two feet tall key lime tree this summer. It's a healthy bushy tree with one key lime and there are no thorns on the tree. I read somewhere that key lime is tropical, and sometimes not easy to set fruit.

I re-potted the tree into 5:1:1 mix, no single leaves lost, right now, it's loaded with pea sized limes. Most on the tips of the branches. Typically one tip would hold 5 or 6 fruits in a cluster. Should I think the fruit? I do observe one thing unusual, the flowers of the key lime tree is kind of tiny, and flower petals not full open with a stigma sticking out. Is there something wrong?

Thanks

YT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

i have no first hand knowledge of key limes, as far as thinning the fruit, citrus trees will generally take care of that, but it doesn't hurt to thin it out a little.

the flowers do sound a bit odd. what are the growing conditions? light, water, soil, potted/in ground, temps, bugs, etc

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 11:48PM
andrew78(6)

Hi Yt,
What your finding with your key lime flowers is nothing unusual. Some of the flowers wont be fertile. These flowers wont have the stigma sticking out. Also, what houston texas is saying about the fruit needing to be thinned is dead on. I think I read somewhere that only 10% of the fruits will hold on. IT may actually be less than that but your tree will only hold onto what it can without stressing the tree itself.

Andrew

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 12:29AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

I have a key lime and it acts just like what you have posted. Mine is about 3-4 feet tall and I get maybe 20 fruit. Mine are on the small side about the size of a large marble. It was set back this spring when I did a complete bare root so Im sure thats why they are smaller than what I expected.

Mike

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 9:48AM
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

Thanks guys for the help.

The growing condition is not bad at all. It's being kept warm, and we had excellent summer this year. I just hope it's just transplant shock. At least I got limes, but nice flowers is always a big bonus for me.

Thanks
YT

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™