Dahlia's won't bloom

kapokfpAugust 13, 2007

Got some beautiful dahlia bulbs from a relative Washington State. I'm in Michigan.

Three years running I get beautiful bushy foliage but no blooms. I've tried planting them in 3 spots on my property--all full sun. I fertilize properly. Could it be possible I'm overwintering them incorrectly? I store them in a box in my basement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grannymarsh(z4-5 U.P. MICH)

The only incorrect way to store dahlias is to lose them. LOL
If you have bushy foliage, then the problem might be too much nitrogen in your fertilizer or soil. Have you tried a fertilizer with a higher middle number? And a looow first number.(nitrogen) Mor-bloom (brand or equivalent)is one that I use.
Or, it could be that the cultivars you are trying to grow is a very late blooming one. Are they setting any buds at all?

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 11:42PM
kapokfp

They don't set any buds at all. I have a hunch it might be my soil, which is fairly acidic. It's an ongoing battle where I live as the soil is very sandy and acidic here. Next year I'll try fertilizing like you suggest, grannymarsh. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 11:02PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Grannymarsh's recommendation is "right on". I fertilize every week with a fertilizer with a higher middle number. ( not too high, though ). I continue this until the end of August, and I stop fertilizing completely then. My dahlias this year are amazing. The higher middle number promotes the formation of buds.

One thing else to consider. Do you have your dahlias in a place where they get a lot of sun? They are much less likely to bloom without it.

Perhaps you'll get some yet. The summer is not over for another month, although as I write the temperature outside has dipped to 8 degrees C.

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 6:26AM
More Discussions
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
Rebecca's World
I was wondering if any of you have grown the above...
maxyck
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™