How to keep a dahlia until spring planting

mclemAugust 25, 2006

I bought a dahlia from the reduced-for-quick-sale buggy at the grocery store about a month ago. At that time it still had blooms, but I think the blooming has finished for the season. It's in a one-gallon container and I'm not sure of the proper way to store a dahlia until it gets planted.

It's not a dinner-plate dahlia. The bloom was about 2-inches in diameter and the flower was pale purple and white.

From my reading, I should plant it in the spring in NC. Some books suggest taking the plant out of the container and storing the bulb in newspaper or compost over winter. So I was wondering if keeping it in the original container would be the same as storing it in compost.

I don't have a garage or basement to overwinter, but I'm sure my Mom will let me keep in their garage next to her ferns. Parents also have a fabulous compost pile so I can overwinter it in the compost is necessary.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2(NW Washington)

Take it out of the pot & plant it in the garden- just like you would any annual or perennial-- or you could plant the whole pot in the garden so you don't disturb the roots at this time of the growing cycle-- dead-head it, clean it up & & feed it & it'll come back & bloom for you until frost-- most dahlias are just starting to be at their best at this time of year & put on a spectacular showing in Sept. & on into Oct-- until frost. Then look at the forum again as I'm sure there will be plenty of advice on storing at that time.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™