Pull Before Freezing?

pondicherryAugust 31, 2009

We are leaving before the first frost, is there any recommended ways or suggestions to pull Dahlias before frost arrives?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

We don't get a killing frost very early very often, so I'm out there cutting down plants in October every year unless it's a really spectacular late Fall and the blooms are still decent. Otherwise, I'd be out there digging in January.

Just cut the plants off leaving ample stalk to grab, wait several days to a week and dig them up for storage. I think your storage temperature should still be below 50 and above freezing though, if you can manage it.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 7:53PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

It is going down to 4C tonight here, so I have a lot of my dahlias covered for the night.

I will likely be digging my dahlias before the end of September this year, as I have some things going on which will require my attention in October. They can be dug and cleaned as per my other posts, with the only difference being that the eyes will not be so readily visible. That never worries me, as I usually start them in late March early April and they eye up quickly enough then.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg1016075928014.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting ready to store dahlias for winter

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:41PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Brrrr Jroot! Time to break out the fleece! I hope you are enjoying the middle of your season as much as possible seeing it was somewhat shortened this year by Mother Nature.

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™