Changsha mandarin pollination

bubba62November 19, 2011

My "Changsha" mandarin has been completely hardy outdoors here in SE VA for 6 years, and last spring was completely covered in blooms. However, not one fruit was produced. Since there were no freezes, frosts or other adverse weather events after the flowers opened, I can only assume they weren't pollinated, although I did see bees and other insects visiting the tree. Does this variety require another cultivar for successful pollination and fruit production, and if so, what would be a possible match? Poncirus trifoliata is also hardy here, if that would work, but almost no other citrus will survive even the mildest of our winters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
samuelforest(5b Montreal)

I think mandarin trees need to cross pollinate, so you will need another mandarin tree that bloom at the same time to get some fruits.

Sam

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 9:05AM
mrtexas(9a)

Most citrus including Changsha do not need cross pollination and only produce seeds that are clones even if pollinated, called polyembrony. Bad luck I suppose!

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 1:28PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

Is this tree a seedling? It is quite common for seedling trees to bloom and not bear fruit or drop all fruit for a year or two before holding a crop.

I had several trees to skip blooming this spring due to the long and terrible winter.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 9:07AM
bubba62

Thanks, all. It's not a seedling - it was rooted cutting given to me by a friend about 10 years ago, but this was its first bloom, so maybe that is a factor.

Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 5:37AM
More Discussions
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
Questions about repotting container grown citrus
Hi all, I am a complete newbie but I have taken great...
emilygreenie
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™