I pinched terminal bud too early?

baxbAugust 7, 2011

I sowed 12 dahlia seeds in may. When they got to 3inch tall, i pinched out the growing tip as many people all say that better to pinch it out early to encourage bushiness. Anyway, i just read somewhere that i should have stopped them after 3pairs of leaves. But i remember mine had 2pairs and maybe 1 pair were the baby leaves.

Problem is, i didnt pinch out the tips on 2 plants. Now they are almost 10inch tall. But the other 10 plants have not grown more than another inch since.

Now im too scared to pinch out the 2 nice plants or should i? They now have over 4pairs of leaves and the first baby leaves have dropped and looking really nice and healthy.

What about the other 10? Have i ruined them or could i keep them and overwinter them for next year? Any ideas? Everyone says different things about pinching out seedlings. Please help i am new to this

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john3(7a)

What height are they supposed to be? Short container types or tall staking types? I'd leave the last two alone; you'll delay flowering further if you pinch now. Even if the ten don't flower, hopefully they'll produce tubers when the daylength of late summer/fall usually causes this to occur. I usually pinch my bedding/container 18" tall seed grown at four to six inches tall. Not sure if I'd recommend, since this delays flowering. But, pinching does cause branching, when they're not naturally prone to do so. Good luck to ya.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
Devistating dahlias this year :/
Hi guys! It has been awhile since I have been on....
keriann_lakegeneva
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
Nick Sr. blooms
How many blooms (total) can one expect from a newly...
dan1018
Starting dahlias in miracle grow potting soil
Hello,,,I need some help in getting my dahlias started...I...
dancinnance
Sponsored Products
Tropic Fish Study I
$379.00 | FRONTGATE
WAC White Xenon 6" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
Concept I Polished Nickel 52-Inch Ceiling Fan
$299.95 | Bellacor
Wiggle Chevron Rug
$64.99 | Dot & Bo