Petals falling off dahlias

armaghroseAugust 22, 2007

Can anyone help. My pompom dahlias are losing their petals for no apparent reason. Only one flower at a time is affected and the petals can all be lost in the space of a few hours. They are left in a neat little pile on the ground. The remaing part of the plant seems to be very wet once the petals have been lost.

I have looked in the flower while this is happening and cannot see any bugs. I dont think is is slugs or capsid bugs.

Any help/suggestions - gardener from Ireland?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

How old are the blooms? The petals will drop off an old bloom just as you describe above, when they have aged beyond usefulness. I don't know of any illness or bug that would cause such a phenomenon, but I don't leave mine on the plant any longer than nearly ripe or ripe stage.
Could it just be age of the bloom?

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 10:40PM
armaghrose

Hi,

I dont think age is a problem as the oldest bloom isnt necessarily the one affected, but perfect blooms are. I am guessing that it happens when the bloom is about 10/14 days old (but I will start keeping a record of this).

I have four varieties of dahlias and the plants themselves are no more than 3/4 seasons old (tubers having been taken from older plants)and all are affected sporadically. It almost happens in front of my eyes. I have a beautiful cream dinner plate dahlia and it is heartbreaking to see one of the flowers end up as a pile of petals on the ground in the space of a few hours.

Thanks for you thoughts, much appreciated.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 6:03AM
Poochella(7 WA)

10-14 days is a long time to last on a plant. I have no other guesses other than age of bloom, but do commiserate with your pile o' petals falling before your eyes.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 10:21AM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

MIne drop off also, after 4 or 5 days. This is perfectly normal. If yours are lasting 10-14 days, that is amazing. I agree with poochella on this one.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Lumens needed for starting pots indoors ?
Looking to put together a simple indoor T5 lighting...
dan1018
Sponsored Products
Slamp | Girafiore Floor Lamp
$860.00 | YLighting
48" Two Hoop Arbor - White Finish
Fifthroom.com
Jaipur Petal Pusher Transitional Floral Pattern Wool/Silk Tufted Rug - RRD019133
$278.00 | Hayneedle
Petal 31.5" Chandelier in Silver
$799.00 | LexMod
Petal Lime Area Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Millerd Petals Rug 6' x 9' - GREY
$1,600.00 | Horchow
Anise Matte Black One Light Outdoor Pendant
$170.00 | Bellacor
Arteriors Home - Farrah Lamp - 42124-952
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™