Why do light-colored dahlias look dirty or un-uniforim?

utah_growerAugust 24, 2006

I've only been growing dahlias for a couple of years. I live in Northern Utah (wish there was a Dahlia Society around here). I've noticed that most of the light-colored dahlia flowers look dirty, but the dark ones don't. From the point of the buds beginning to open, the light-colored ones don't have the beautiful form they should. Do insects tend to focus their efforts on these? I have plenty of earwigs. Right next to a light-colored Candlelight I have a Dark Magic that is just as gorgeous as it can be.

Thanks for your insights.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2(NW Washington)

We've found that the earwigs really love the white dahlias- that's where we find the most of the little beasts. They also poop in them- little flecks of black stuff that can contribute to the dirty look of lighter blooms - doesn't show up as much in the darker ones. Some really stark whites are -Spike, Arctic Frost, Kenora Jubilee, Kenora Challenger, Kenora Clyde & Klondike. Some of the other whites do have a muddy, grayed color & some are blends of white with some pink or yellow in them.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
Rebecca's World
I was wondering if any of you have grown the above...
maxyck
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™