Calamondin hasn't bloomed/set fruit in over 5 years?

Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZNovember 17, 2011

So we got this calamondin maybe 5-6years ago and while in its container it already had small fruits in it. Then I planted it on the ground and ever since that, it's never produced any fruit for me, not even flowers. But the tree is over 9-10 feet tall now and it doesn't show any kinds of problems for me besides the lack of flowers.

Oh actually, I remember last year I found ONE fruit on it. I was quite surprised but the fruit was deformed looking. Not sure what the problem is with it. I have it planted next to my orange tree and that one blooms and produces fruit every year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The usual reasons for lack of flowering are cultural: not enough sunlight, planted too deeply, too much or too little water, excess nitrogen (in relationship with other essential nutrients), nutrient deficiency. Anything that might cause this plant stress of some kind could divert plant energy to fixing THAT problem rather than flowering, which also happens to take a lot of energy.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 4:54AM
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ

definitely gets a lot of sunlight. Not sure about the watering. I think it's getting enough. I would see some kind of stress if it's getting too much or too little. It could be lack of fertilizing though

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 10:40AM
madferret(UK 8b-9a)

If your not sure on the watering, then it's probably too much. :)

May just be a bad plant, get another and see how it goes. My Calamondim never stops flowering, and it's indoors... Compared to my other Citrus (not that I have many) they are the easiest to look after.

Regards
Nick

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 11:29AM
northflagardener

Definitely try fertilizing with a good citrus fertilizer. I have several Calamondins and have found that fruit production decreases dramatically when the trees are not fertilized regularly.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™