do i bring in dahlia for the winter?

meadowgarden(zone 6 NY Longisland)August 20, 2008

HI I am in longisland,ny Do i bring these bulbs in for the winter? how do i store them? DO I treat them like a canna??

thanks in advance!

Meadow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vikingcraftsman

Yes Meadow we have to dig and store our Dahlia tubers. I store mine in the back of my house. The room is the coolest in the house. I would say the temp. is around 50 degrees. I put them in a box with saw dust. I creat a lot making wooden flower boxes. But I have stored them in peatmoss also. I would check them at least once a month for the winter months. If they seem to be drying out runs some water over them before restoring. If they feel soggy you might want to cut the soggy part off. You might try leaving them in the air for a couple of hours to see if you can dry them a little. If you have cats put a screen over the top of the box or they will assume you gave them an extra potty.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 9:53PM
huey_ga(z7)

Everyone stores their dahlias for the winter differently or have their own method so you will find many ways for storing them.

I recommend that you store them in boxes using coarse vermiculite, not the small vermiculite. Coarse vermiculite holds just enough moisture to keep your tubers firm & plump during the winter where other mediums tend to dry out your tubers.

This transfer of moisture is most important during storage and coarse vermiculite does it the best. Small vermiculite holds too much moisture and sticks to the tubers and can cause them to rot.

Store your tubers in the coolest (not freezing) area you have available below 55%. Check each month to see how they are getting along.

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 6:29AM
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

FWIW, I used the saran method (search google with "saran dahlias"). Basically, you just wrap up the tubers in saran wrap, put them in bags that keep out the light (I used eco-friendly cloth grocery bags with newspaper over the top.)

I stored mine in a beer fridge I have in the garage. I didn't check them until I took them out in January to start them.

None rotted.

Cheers,
Russ

Here is a link that might be useful: Saran Wrap Method Of Storing Dahlia Tubers

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Gardening Newbie
Hi, all! I am new to growing and am hoping that I don't...
Terri Williams
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
new to dalias, looking for short varieties
Looking to try growing dahlias on my balcony. I'd like...
silverrowan
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Growing Dahlias in zone 13b
We recently moved from Indiana to Costa Rica. In Indiana...
dreamskape
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Casablanca Panama DC 54 in. Snow White Ceiling Fan 59510.0
Home Depot
Pioneer Large Camp Grate
$16.99 | zulily
Ice Vintage Textured Faux Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 96
$54.95 | Bellacor
Scroll Park Wrinkle-resistant 600 Thread Count Bed Skirt
Overstock.com
Johnson Brothers Old Britain Castles Earthenware Dinner Plate - Blue - Set of 6
$72.00 | Hayneedle