White fly invasion in South Florida

hgiljrNovember 15, 2010

Hello all. So there is a huge white fly invasion in south florida, now attacking all fruit and vegetable trees. Originally it was the Ficus trees, now there is a new white fly species that is attacking fruits and vegetable. So how to contol without having to use hard pesticides? I know about some spray treatments to the leaves using a product that contains Bifenthrin and it is a on the spot killer. It works fine for small trees, but larger trees i have not found an organic product. Something that can be a soil drench or injection treatment. Any suggestions or what are you all using to control this insect if you have such outbreak? Thanks again

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alys_esmond(9b Orlando)

They're up here in Central Florida too.

I nearly lost my entire, newly planted, garden to them.
My solution was Safers soap spray and the yellow sticky traps. Whitefly LOVE yellow.
I was very upset after the 1st day when one of my traps caught an anolis lizard. I cut that part of the trap off and put him in the freezer to euthanize. I know that the killer sprays kill other critters just as well, but the in-my-faceness of this poor guy made me sad.
My tomatoes have all bounced back, peppers not so much and my peach tree seems happy once again.
Now all I gotta do is get the scale off my sago and magnolias...

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 11:10AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

alys, you've brought up the exact reason why I stopped using the yellow sticky traps completely! I was living in coastal SC at the time, and had purchased a large number of them for the big commercial greenhouse I was teaching in. That greenhouse stayed full of the green anoles, but I didn't expect that they would jump up to catch the whitefly on the sticky traps! But they did.

I figured that it was only a matter of time before one of the little tree frogs was also caught.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 12:15PM
hgiljr

We have them on Mangoes and Avocado trees. It is a huge outbreak... I will see what I do. Really out of control... What is Safers Soap spray?

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 2:13PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Safer Soap is a commonly used insecticidal soap. There are other manufacturers of insecticidal soap, but Safer is an old and well-known brand.

The smartest thing to do is some comparative shopping. Read the label on the brands carefully, comparing the % of active ingredients. I usually put my money on the product that gives me the most value for the same active ingredient.

Every plant grower should have some insecticidal soap in their arsenal. Though it is a broad spectrum insecticide, it is still considered 'organic', and it is a lesser evil of most of the other chemicals on the market.

It only works if you spray it on the pest. Once dry, it has zero residual effect on anything.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
dwarf citrus pest/disease ID help?
I was watering my dwarf lemon and lime trees today...
L
Gray veins in grapefruit
I was advised that this was the better forum for airing...
FanOcitrus
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
Unripe fruit falling off dwarf Meyer lemon tree
Hi everyone, This is the first time IâÂÂve posted...
ndvnprt
Sponsored Products
WHITE by Sarah Peyton 10-inch Traditional Firm Support Twin-size Memory Foam Mat
Overstock.com
Madison Ceiling Pendant by Swarovski
$1,465.00 | Lumens
Halo Table Lamp in Clear
$149.00 | LexMod
Scudo Saraceno Serpentine Suspension
Lightology
Americh Turo 6032 Right Handed ADA Tub (60" x 32" x 18")
Modern Bathroom
Slamp | Fiorella Wall Sconce
$590.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™