The season's winding down

Thyme2dig NH Zone 5November 9, 2009

These pics were from this past weekend. It's almost time to put the garden to bed.

One thing I just can't get over is the Sweet Autumn Clematis thinking it's summer or something. We've had all kinds of frosts already and it is still so nice and green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

It does look like fall. Your SAC looks much greener than mine. I still think is looks very good; this is my favorite time of year.

What will you do to prepare the beds for winter?

I just let mine be, even leaving most tops in place until spring.

glenda

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 4:16AM
dahli22

it still looks good. i like your use of rocks, too.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 3:51PM
schoolhouse_gw

An example of good planning, your garden shows interest even at the end of the season. Bet it looks nice with snow,too.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 5:28PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Glenda, I don't usually do too much to ready the garden for winter. I leave much of the cutting back until spring. I will cut back the peonies and the asters though and clean up the daylilies. Other than that it's usually just a matter of gathering up the ornaments (of which I don't have many becuase I spend so much on plants!) and getting hoses and sprinklers put away.

Dahli22, we were fortunate that many large rocks were buried in the yard from when the road was blasted. When we built our house we had the guy doing the excavating put all the rocks he dug up in one corner of the yard. A few years later we hired someone who put them to good use.

Schoolhouse, Thanks. I have tried to plan the garden for interest in all seasons. I do quite a bit of shopping in the fall when I can see what is most interesting then. There is so much great color in the foliage of so many plants in the fall.

We limbed up an oak tree this year and the climbing hydrangea on it took on a great color. It was a nice, unexpected treat. Now if it would ever bloom....

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™