Megastar

mytime(3/4 Alaska)September 1, 2012

Ignore the missing petal tips and the holes in the petals...I can't look at anything in the garden this week without finding slugs crawling all over it. Anyway, I'm posting this pic to show the variability in Megastar blooms on the same plant. A 2nd Megastar has had one bloom almost totally white. This isn't fading from sun, either (we haven't had any!). They open this way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Well, apparently I forgot the pic. Here it is.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 3:19AM
vikingcraftsman

I am out side at night at least twice a night with my flashlight and my amoina and water bottle. Sam knows what lets kill slugs means.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 5:25PM
Noni Morrison

Is there any way you could keep a few ducks where you live? I think Ducks and dahlias are a great combination! Mine have free access to my dahlias garden and keep the slugs down real well. You probably know that Western Washington is Slug Heaven. Well, very little slug activity now in mine. I still have ear wigs and leaf hoppers, but the plants grow unmolested from the ground. I do still prestart mine through to get a jump on our gray, cool weather. and get them big enough the ducks won't accidently sit down on them. Not sure what cold temps a duck can take in the winter.....It might we worth it to get ducklings in the spring and keep them through the summer. Fewer slugs mean fewer slug eggs laid to hatch.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 3:54PM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Good idea, lizalily, but won't work for me. For starters, the last thing I need in my life right now is one more thing to care for...LOL.
I do know about WA and slugs...yours are waaay bigger than ours. I don't understand how tiny ones like ours can do so much damage! BTW, my DIL has lived in western WA, but now lives down the road from me. She was commenting this past week on how she never saw so many even when she lived in WA.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 2:40PM
vikingcraftsman

I guess me moving in with you so you can take care of me is out of the question. LOL

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 2:28PM
addicted2dahlias(6)

Mytime, a similar thing happened to me last year, only I don't know the name of my dahlia. My first bloom is shown below, but the 2nd bud looks like it will be the dark rosy color that appears on the tips of the petals. I loved this one last year because I never knew what I was going to get. Sure wish I knew its name!

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 8:48PM
vikingcraftsman

Yes I wish you knew the name also. I like the look of that.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 10:39PM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Addicted, that's really a pretty one. I need to quit visiting this forum...too many "ooh, I want that one, too" flowers.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 11:50PM
Noni Morrison

Oh My! What a fun dahlia! Yes, I want it too! Hope someone can come up with the name!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 12:12AM
Noni Morrison

Oh My! What a fun dahlia! Yes, I want it too! Hope someone can come up with the name!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 12:13AM
    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:47AM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Amazing! That looks like it! what's amazing is that I started it too late and it didn't bloom in time before our first frost, so I'll have to wait until next year to see it. The picture I bought from (a local grower who actually uses pics of his own flowers) shows more red and yellow, way less white, so I didn't even begin to recognize it.

Here is a link that might be useful: local pic of C.F.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:54AM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

I wasn't very clear in my above post...I meant I bought Caribbean Fantasy this year but it didn't bloom.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Nick Sr. blooms
How many blooms (total) can one expect from a newly...
dan1018
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™