Can I Make Cuttings From a Bouquet of Dahlias?

rozegardenerSeptember 2, 2008

This weekend I received a beautiful bouquet of dahlias, and I would like to propagate them. Does anyone have experience? Can I just cut out a section of the stem that contains a node and place it in starting medium? Will they fail because the stems have been under water in the vase? Please help. I love these dahlias!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

That may very well work, its certainly one way to propagate.

Here's a link to an article about taking cuttings from stems.

Cheers,
Russ

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating by Leaf Cuttings page 1

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 11:00AM
vikingcraftsman

My neighbor clams, and I have no reason to disagree, that she has taken cuttings from bouquets that I gave her. She said she just put them in water and they have roots growing. Dahlia up the world.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 6:32PM
rozegardener

Thanks, Sturgeon Guy and Viking Craftsman. I actually had seen the website recommended before I wrote my starter query, but it must have been written by a botanist, or some sort of intellectual; I was confused and looking for a simpler recommendation, LOL, silly me. But I reread it and it makes SOME sense, so I went looking for the recommended rooting medium, "Sunshine Basic Mix 2" which had the 96% success rate (as opposed to the "Oasis" which had only a 62% success rate), and it isn't for sale anywhere around here. I threw the dahlias out because the stems looked like they were decaying, even tho I was changing the water in the vases. My DH didn't want to look at them anymore and I didn't think they'd have a good success rate. Should I have stripped the leaves? snipped of the wilting flower heads? I was afraid of injuring the growing nodes next to the leaves. Can you ask your neighbor how she does that VM, And/ or can you recommend another rooting medium SG? I am just about to run over to the farmers' market for another bouquet of Dahlias, gosh they're beautiful, This time I'll pick long stems with lots of nodes and won't trim off the ends. I didn't put the ends in hot water like they suggest because I was afraid it would make them difficult to take cuttings from.

I REALLY appreciate your help. Sorry so helpless but willing to learn. -Roze Gardener

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 3:49PM
sturgeonguy(5a ON)

They'll root in just about anything. I used Miracle Grow Start Mix with hydrating crystals for my cuttings this spring, worked just fine.

Cheers,
Russ

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Devistating dahlias this year :/
Hi guys! It has been awhile since I have been on....
keriann_lakegeneva
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Winter storage
I ordered some dinner plate dahlia tubers to plant...
connieatchley
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Nick Sr. blooms
How many blooms (total) can one expect from a newly...
dan1018
Sponsored Products
Nottingham Leather Folding Storage Ottoman Bench - 232218BLK
$71.39 | Hayneedle
Hamilton Soy Candle in Gray
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Triumph VX Outdoor Deck Lantern by Maxim Lighting
$188.00 | Lumens
Fitzgerald U-Chaise Sectional - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Educational Insights Kids Dishes Set - EI-1897
$23.99 | Hayneedle