Mystery Euphorbia, anyone recognize this?

bahia(SF Bay Area)November 9, 2012

A second post here rather than piggyback on the white Euphorbia post. This is an plant I originally purchased as an unlabeled plant at Succulent Gardens Nursery near Moss Beach. Robin Stockwell wasn't around to ask the name for this, does anyone recognize it? TIA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery white Euphorbia species

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Euphorbia mammillaris

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 9:30PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Euphorbia fimbriata f. variegata (more often than not called Euphorbia mammillaris f. variegata).

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:08PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Thank you for the quick id on this, both of you. I had no idea this could/will get quite large if it matures, it looked as if it would stay dwarf to me when I bought them. I have probably not really given them perfect growing conditions, but they've survived their first two winters, and received no special soil amending to improve drainage. I suspect this isn't long term hardy with our winter cold and wet here in the SF Bay Area. I find myself intrigued by the genus, but have only used about a dozen species so far. I wish I knew of sources for the South African Medusa-head types I've seen out at the Ruth Bankcroft Garden. I've had good luck with lambii, dendroides, mauritanica, ammak variegata, rigida, myrsinites, Ascot Rainbow, Tasmanian Tiger, to name a few. If we tend towards dryer winters and hotter summers, Euphorbs may well make increasingly useful drought tolerant shrubs.
Also, anyone else growing Kleinia nerifolia from the Canary Islands? Another Euphorbia look-alike that I really like the looks of, but relatively slow growing and much plumper and lusher growing here than photos of same in habitat.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 1:50AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Hi RoRo. So ecstatic to see you back that I will buck protocol and post. Great to hear from you.
Indeed, McHarris trying to fill your shoes! (Love you too Jeff, but hey la, hey la, our girlfriend's back!)

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 9:38AM

Glad to help, David! Love your work!! Great to see pix of all!

Ha ha, thanks, Dzitmo!! Just getting my fix while I can jump in & out of the forum. Love the song, too! Hey, Jeff is doing good! =)

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:55PM

Forgot to say, I do not grow Senecio neriifolia, but can see how some Euphorbia would do well in your plantings, David. I, too, would like to find more Medusa-head plants for sale.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
Aeonium hybrids from Southern California
these always look great this time of year (their 'happy...
palmbob
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
Show my new collection of succulents
I got a present. Look at these succulents.
hm825
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™