Some new ones for me this year

annabeth(Zone 8 No Cal inland)September 17, 2009

I just thought I'd add to the dahlia viewing.

Here is a pic of three varieties that are new to me this year and I love all three of them! Lyn's April is the red one, Kenora Jubilee is the white, and CG Coral is the bright coral one.

This is Appleblossom:

This is Bo-De-O, and I have to say that while it is nice and it is prolific, I am looking for a more golden colored dahlia for next year. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice golden yellow? It doesn't matter what form or size. I saw 'Mary Lou' on Hamilton's web site and I am considering it. Anyone grow it?

Worton Blue Streak, a little unopened yet in this pic:

I am very impressed with the two in this photo. The dark red is Rip City and the coral-ly pink is Parkland Tribute. I like them individually and I like them together. Rip City seems to keep a long time in a vase too.

This last one is only sort of new to me. I got it last year but never had a bloom on it because of slug sheering. I just made that term up but I think it's pretty descriptive of what happened. Them dang slugs just ate every sprout that came up, again and again, until I got fed up and moved it to another location late in the season. A plant came up but didn't have time to bloom before frost. This year it has proven to be a wonderful dahlia. Also, it has special meaning for me since it is my grandmother's given name: Verda. This picture and every other one I've taken do not do the bloom justice for beauty. I recommend it highly. I'd love it even if it didn't have that name.

Annabeth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oscarthecat(z7MD)

good interesting pics. give us more. Steve S.

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 8:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Nice Annabeth! I like Lyn's April the best. That big white should be called "Blizzard" or something. I have one similiar with no name, about 8" of informal white madness and very fluffy.

For golden yellows- Wyn's Aztec Gold is a new favorite this year. Golden Egg for a very small waterlily. Sea Oro for a large, wavery informal that leans more toward a pale orangey gold. Taratahi Sunrise is goldy egg yolk colored for me too. All nice depending on your taste for height and size.

Keep those photos coming!

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™