Citrus issues (with pics!)

networkguyNovember 30, 2011

Hi all..first post :) Long time lurker. Im a new homeowner, and never had much of a green thumb, but Im trying!

I live in Phoenix AZ, and have a lemon and orange tree in my back yard. Im watering now once a week for about 30 mins, but during the hot months was watering 2x/week. I havent added any fertilizer. The trees are well established. When I searched I have diagnosed everything from too much water, too little water, cotton cushion, algae, aphids, OY! Its like going to webmd and diagnosing a head ache hehe. Would love some help from the experts!

OK, first my lemon tree. Some of the fruit looks a little wilty, some of the leaves look burned on the end, and some have white spots. I have looked for bugs, but havent seen evidence of any. The leaves arent sticky either. Here's the pics:

With the orange tree, Im just seeing the leaves curling inward (cigar leaf curl or something Ive read?):

So what say the experts? Thank you all for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RealLifeReslers(6)

I'm no expert but just wanted to say my hubby is from Phoenix! :)

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 3:15PM
johnmerr(11)

These trees are seriously in need of food; citrus inground need fertilizer at least 3 times per year; Ortho Citrus and Avocado is my favorite if you can find it... if not any balanced fertilizer will help immensely until you can locate a good citrus fertilizer. You will also need to apply some chelated minerals, especially Magnesium, Sulfur, Zinc, Manganese, Iron, and Calcium. Citrus get 85% of their nutrients from the first 18-24 inches of soil, and they are not good competitors with grass or other plants, so they need regular food. Your trees also look to be suffering from lack of water and/or too much heat. Looking at that rock you have under the trees, they are probably being cooked slowly in that AZ sun. You may have some other problems that are not immediately apparent from your fotos; but until you get the trees some food and maybe more water, the other issues are not so important.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 5:16PM
networkguy

Thank you Johnmerr! I'll see what kind of citrus food I can find tomorrow. If 30 mins once a week seems too little, I'll bump it to 2x/week and see what happens.

Thanks again, and I welcome any more comments!

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 1:17AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

As for plant pests, you'll need to provide some good images of some of the things you're worried about. Have you seen cottony cushion scale, aphids, or other pests....or just worried about them?

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 5:00AM
networkguy

@ rhizo_1...as I said in my first post, I was commoneting thast in my searching it raised a question, but I havent found any evidence of bugs.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
My Cuban Shaddock tree
The previous owner had an unknown dwarf citrus that...
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
Help! I think my 2 yr old lemon tree is in shock!
This plant was doing fine until I trimmed off a huge...
olly805
Sponsored Products
Braun | Braun Men's Analog Watch BN-24
YLiving.com
Rizzy Home Citrus Green 18 Inch x 18 Inch Pillow Cover with Hidden Zipper
$33.00 | Bellacor
Americh Brisa 7236 Tub (72" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Progress Lighting 8 in. Remodel Sloped Ceiling Recessed Housing, IC P245-TG
$75.69 | Home Depot
Riedel Vinum Set of Eight Viognier/Chardonnay Wine Glasses
$149.95 | FRONTGATE
Doxie Light in Blue
$78.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™