Cosmos

rross(NSW Aust)January 23, 2014

I live in Sydney (Australia) and have planted both bright yellow cosmos and the pink/white/ lilac ones with the feathery leaves. They're all in full sun and in identical soil.

Here, in mid-summer, the yellow ones are flowering heavily but the other ones, though large, healthy-looking plants, seem to have no plans to bloom at all. I treat them the same. Is this situation normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I don't know if it's normal, but things like that do happen occasionally and are inexplicable. Maybe cut them back halfway see if that stimulates them to re-boot.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:43AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

There have been lots of reports on several forums over the past few years of the tall, pink varieties of cosmos taking forever to bloom, or not blooming at all. Most often it occurs with seed that has been saved from previous years. I wonder if the plants are reverting to some wild type that is day length dependent for blooming. Anyway, it's not anything you are doing wrong.

Martha

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 4:19PM
rross(NSW Aust)

Thank you for your replies. Maybe I should hit the non flowering ones with some sulphate of potash. It seems like I've got nothing to lose.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 10:33PM
freezengirl(3aMN and 5AK)

In northern MN, the pink variety (standard) does not bloom until toward late summer/fall. I have planted them for years and never had them bloom at any other time no matter when they were planted out.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™