Rootstock of Improved Meyer has taken over, what will I get?

cooperphNovember 12, 2013

A vigorous sucker saved this tree from complete extinction at the hands of scale bugs. I didn't realize until just recently that this was almost certainly coming from the rootstock. Now I am in two minds as to whether or not to leave it be and see what I get, or remove and replace. Anybody know what the rootstock typically is? It was a Home Depot purchase, Monrovia was the grower. The tree is now going into its second winter now. It's about 4 feet tall although pretty leggy, so far no fruit but until I moved it into full sun just recently, it was only getting about 4 hours of sun daily. I hate to remove it as it has shown itself to be a real survivor, but if the fruit is going to suck then it will have to go.

This post was edited by cooperph on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 13:48

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Well, you could post a photo and we can see what you are talking about; or you could call Monrovia and ask them what rootstock they sell to HD. Sometimes those vigorous "suckers" are just watersprouts.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:07PM
cooperph

Forgive my ignorance, I just looked up water sprout and I think that must be it, as it originated below the graft line but above the soil.
Not much point keeping it now, I think, beyond the demonstrated toughness. It seems unlikely to do well for fruit in terms of quality or quantity.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 1:34PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Definitely rootstock if it's from below the graft. If there is no cultivar above the graft, better to just replace the tree. You can always try to draft, but then, you'd need to know how to graft , and have access to clean budwood. Not hard to learn, but it's a bit of a process. For most folks, simply easier to replant.

Patty S.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 2:10PM
RugbyHukr(23)

The rootstock is likely a trifoliate orange.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 2:24PM
cooperph

Thanks rugbyhukr, you are spot on I think, having just googled that. Seems that my new tree would not bear fruit for many more years, and then they are pretty awful tasting fruit anyway. I'll probably go guerrilla-plant it somewhere I may one day see it fruit, but not in my postage-stamp of a yard.
Thanks everybody!

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™