Best ways to rush a bloom?

sturgeonguy(5a ON)September 19, 2009

Hi all, sorry I haven't been posting this summer, lots of other (good) things going on and just haven't had time. I am hoping to get out later today and get pictures of all my beds and many of the individual flowers. I've had a great crop this year.

Now for the question. Next Tuesday night is the judging for our local horticultural show (that's 4 days from now.) Several weeks ago I began the process of dis-budding and de-branching those flowers (and several alternates) that I'm putting into the show. I know Cory and many of you do this regularly, I just don't have the time.

Anyway, I have numerous "ideal" buds in various state of bloom, in the hopes there will be enough in full bloom on Tuesday. Is there something I could do to a bloom that is mostly open that would rush it to be fully open?? (other than time-lapse photography...;-])

I have experimented with various recipes for getting the flowers to last, and have found that the following works best for me:

- Boil water

- Let stand 30 minutes

- To 2 cups of water, add 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar, and a few drops of Javex (or any bleach.) If not bleach, then vinegar works fine too. Stir, and add flowers.

Perhaps a variation on this will make the bloom open when sat in a solution??

Cheers,

Russ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2008

We've tried a lot of things to try to get a bloom to open for a show- even resorted to putting a heat lamp on one for a few days once! To no avail. The only time a dahlia rushes is when you don't want it to & goes to center on the way to the show - evil little beasties!

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™