Happy Thanksgiving

johnmerr(11)November 22, 2012

Happy turkey everyone.

Here is a foto of some of our first small harvest of Meyers; they are slightly larger than 2 per pound. The fruit is in degreening process now; then will be washed, waxed, graded, labelled; and samples sent by air next week to agents in 7 countries in Europe. A dream has become reality; now we begin to make the vision the same.

Remember, if life gives you lemons, pray they are Meyer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Hey thank you John!

Wow, you have quite the lemons there. Wow. Thank you and same to you:-)

Mike

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 4:57PM
westgirl(8 WA)

Same to you John! Those lemons look beautiful - how do you "de-green" them? Westie

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 5:17PM
johnmerr(11)

Degreening Meyers, unfortunately is a trade secret, known only to me at the moment... at least I think so. Meyers for some reason don't respond well to the traditional ethylene gas or ethylene liquid baths, which DO degrade the fruit and shorten the shelf time.

Maybe one day when I am rich and famous; or one of the big boys buys me out, I will share the secret with the world.
Anyway, in your climate, Westie, they will get yellow quite well on the tree; mine will eventually, but the European brokers wanted the fruit now for the Christmas season. The fruit has been ripe for about 3 weeks now; that is defined as 8 to 8.5 brix (% sugar); after that, only the peel and the cosmetics change, and in truth the longer you leave them on the tree the less juice they will have... I prefer them that way, but the juice manufacturers frown on it.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 5:28PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Nice first crop, John! How many crops will you be able to harvest from your trees a year? Nice big lemons, too. Well done!

Patty S.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:00AM
johnmerr(11)

Two major crops, November and May; but as the trees mature, they will have fruit the whole year; at that point, and because Meyers do not so quickly drop mature fruit, we will begin to harvest when the buyers want them.
These lemons are a special request from our agents in Europe for the Christmas promotions; they are our Gourmet Grade (2 per pound); our commercial grade are 3 per pound; and the rest (and easiest to sell) are manufacturing grade, which for some reason or other do not meet the standard of the other two grades.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™