Strange things happening in my dahlias

hvander(5B ON)September 8, 2009

Hi,

Perhaps some one can shed light on this! I have 2 issues occuring in my dahlias. The first is that the center bud on some of the plants, i.e. the bud that should be the one that blooms, seems to self-abort and the side buds will branch and bloom on a very short branch. The leaves and stem are slightly yellow. The result is a very small, stunted, and unusable stem. I know that some bugs can cause a malformation of the flower but this appears to be something very different.

The other issue is that I have plants that appear to have spider mite but no spiders can be found. The leaves are gnarled, they have 'rust' spots and the stems appear brownish. However, the flower is completely unaffected.

Am I experiencing a viral problem? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Henry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hvander(5B ON)

I did some research and I think a virus is present. Not sure though. Henry

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 5:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerpine

Henry, aphids can carry a virus that will result in stunted plants and curled leaves you may want to check along that avenue. yellowing leaves and stems can result from many different things too much water, too little fertilizer, poor soil conditions. but if they were my dalhias i would investigate the aphids/virus relationship. hope that will help

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Dahlia information
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting Dahlias (either...
nad0nad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™