Starting my flower seeds

wyndrose(8)January 23, 2014

Morning all
It is close to February and I an getting ready to start my flower seeds I am planning on starting them in small pastic cups then covering them with cling wrap and misting them once a week. Does anyone else start their seeds in side and if so how do u start them?
Frances

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

I would love to but lack the space and enough sunlight. What seeds have you chosen?

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:48AM
Lisa Stevens

I've started flowers and veggies. The hardier cole crops, lettuce, and perennial seeds are wintersown outside on the picnic table. I've got a whole table full of seeds sown in plastic cups and containers with plastic lids in the basement under grow lights and a homemade heat mat.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 2:19PM
wyndrose(8)

Hi
Right now I have sweet William, four o clocks and morning glory. Will be getting more just not sure what else yet.
Frances

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:42PM
mandolls(4)

I ordered some annual seeds last week and am excited to get some of them going when they arrive. Several kinds of Petunias & Geraniums, Lobelia, Impatiens, Rudbekia, Pansies and Asters. THere aren't many things that I start this early, since I can't plant out until mid May. But I am planning on starting Geraniums and Pansies in February.

I have shelves in my workroom with fluorescent lights for getting seedlings going. I start everything in 3oz plastic cups and then pot them up to 9oz cups when needed. Last year I started close to 1000 vegetable and annuls. (I gave a lot of them away)

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:56AM
koszta_kid(Iowazone 5)

I'm getting ready to plant few things. bee balm,kiss me over garden gate and lupines. Maybe Shasta daisy . Making place cat can not play with peat pots.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 4:30PM
runswithscissors(MT 4/5)

I've always had trouble with cling wrap. The first time a single drop of water gets on it, it sticks to itself and becomes such a hassle to take on and off. I like painter's plastic myself. I just cut a piece so that it drapes over the whole shelf...easy on, easy off.

Really any container will work, so long as there is a drainage hole punched in the bottom. One thing I found about using the plastic cups tho, is they are easy to knock over since they are smaller on the bottom and wider at the top...especially once the plant starts growing and it becomes top-heavy. If you have them all nestled up against each other in a tray, that helps.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Removing leaf mulch
Anyone in Northeast Ohio remove the leaf mulch (or...
schoolhouse_gw
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning dear cottagers. Today has brought with...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Sponsored Products
Flax Pendant by David Trubridge Design
$1,140.00 | Lumens
angelo:HOME Fulton 8501-3H Mini Chandelier- Gold - 8501-3H
$98.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Soho Flower Power Ivory/ Multi N. Z. Wool Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Gray Flower Chloe Wool Rug
$139.99 | zulily
Good Directions Blue Verde Brass Hose Pot Lid - 458B
$84.99 | Hayneedle
White Hampton Comforter Set
$79.99 | zulily
Fosters Point Planter With Dracena And Slim Grass
Beyond Stores
Hand-tufted Windy Floral Square Wool Area Rug (9'9 x 9'9)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™